The Student Room Group

How the left respond to the recent attack in Orlando now we know the perp was Muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by shakeyboy
No I've just studied the facts

Oh you've studied the facts.

I guess that's why you actually posted a link claiming that muslims invented soap when Ancient roman writings and Zosimos of Panoplies actually described soap making in 300AD.

Because you've studied the facts.
(edited 7 years ago)

a bit early to jump to that conclusion

But all this is simple whataboutery
Original post by Newsout
Oh you've studied the facts.
I guess that's why you actually posted a link claiming that muslims invented soap when Ancient roman writings and Zosimos of Panoplies actually described soap making in 300AD.Because you've studied the facts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics_in_medieval_Islam#Algebra

Soap making is different from actual soaps

The ancient Egyptians had soap of a kind, as did the Romans who used it more as a pomade. But it was the Arabs who combined vegetable oils with sodium hydroxide and aromatics such as thyme oil. One of the Crusaders' most striking characteristics, to Arab nostrils, was that they did not wash. Shampoo was introduced to England by a Muslim who opened Mahomed's Indian Vapour Baths on Brighton seafront in 1759 and was appointed Shampooing Surgeon to Kings George IV and William IV.
No I've just studied the facts

nearly all of those have been proven to be false, based on other peoples work or at best wishful thinking
Original post by BaconandSauce
nearly all of those have been proven to be false, based on other peoples work or at best wishful thinking

I've gone through quite a few of them and they're true....
Our holy scripture contains a verse that says: "if you kill one person then that is equivalent of killing whole humanity" and "if you saved one person then that is equivalent of saving whole humanity". There is no other holy scripture that I know of that contains these two verses or similar. Our Quran is not the problem, the Quran is a perfect book and I really say this with great confidence. The problem here is like a soccer game; a player can slide to tackle the ball in the foot of his opponent ONLY when necessary and when there's danger of getting defeated by a goal. Now if this player keeps tackling and sliding other players the whole match then it's his fault that he's an idiot, but that doesn't make soccer a bad game. It's the same with terrorists (player) and our book (the game).
a bit early to jump to that conclusion

But all this is simple whataboutery

It really isn't since this man was arrested and found guilty
Reply 87
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics_in_medieval_Islam#Algebra

Soap making is different from actual soaps

The ancient Egyptians had soap of a kind, as did the Romans who used it more as a pomade. But it was the Arabs who combined vegetable oils with sodium hydroxide and aromatics such as thyme oil. One of the Crusaders' most striking characteristics, to Arab nostrils, was that they did not wash. Shampoo was introduced to England by a Muslim who opened Mahomed's Indian Vapour Baths on Brighton seafront in 1759 and was appointed Shampooing Surgeon to Kings George IV and William IV.

But they still weren't invented by Muslims they were only slightly advance because the use of synthetic materials to clean and wash yourself, essentially what soap is was used and discovered hundreds of years before Islam.

And Algebra was not invented by muslims in any way. Egyptians knew about astronomy and mathematics hundreds of years before Islam came about so stop claiming this

http://www.storyofmathematics.com/egyptian.html

"The oldest mathematical text from ancient Egypt discovered so far, though, is the Moscow Papyrus, which dates from the Egyptian Middle Kingdom around 2000 - 1800 BCE."
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by Caled Marsafi
Our holy scripture contains a verse that says: "if you kill one person then that is equivalent of killing whole humanity" and "if you saved one person then that is equivalent of saving whole humanity". There is no other holy scripture that I know of that contains these two verses or similar. Our Quran is not the problem, the Quran is a perfect book and I really say this with great confidence. The problem here is like a soccer game; a player can slide to tackle the ball in the foot of his opponent ONLY when necessary and when there's danger of getting defeated by a goal. Now if this player keeps tackling and sliding other players the whole match then it's his fault that he's an idiot, but that doesn't make soccer a bad game. It's the same with terrorists (player) and our book (the game).

We've found another ignorant one here
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
How TSR's resident anti-Muslim crowd responds to every terrorist attack: making the exact same threads moaning about how the left are totally okay with this, spamming sarcastic comments about Islam being the religion of peace and more moaning about the left wing. From the enthusiasm you all put into these posts you'd almost think you get excited when these events happen.

It is a tragedy, feel sorry for the victims, please leave the exploitation of mass shootings for political aims for later.

I think a large part of the far right does get very excited when events like this happen, as they feel they can use them to recruit.

Generally the view of left wing people on these incidents is that (a) mass-killing assault rifles should not be on public sale to all comers, including mad people like this youth, (b) he may have been invoking Islam but that doesn't make it true and (c) he fits the profile of the US mass casualty killers, with his troubled home life, loner behaviour, mental problems and male under 30 - he may be a Muslim and have stated that he's for ISIS (and we don't yet know if they were aware of him), but the case so far sounds like a classic one.

At the same time, many left wing people are atheists and despise the lunacy of religious extremism generally, including Islamist extremism and religious zealotry.

I'm now waiting to hear of the usual extremist Christians stepping forwards to say this was God's punishment on gay people. It isn't only within Islam that we find nutters.
I've gone through quite a few of them and they're true....

it has little relevance to this thread but most of them are wrong and in some cases simply dishonest. Start a thread in history and we'll correct you if you like but this is not the place.
It really isn't since this man was arrested and found guilty

He's been arrested only
Reply 92

So how come that Islam disproportionately attracts the Pepe and Marcelo's to itself?

And this is just terrorism.

What about all the other vile **** about Islam? It is not just terrorism that is the problem...
Original post by Newsout
We've found another ignorant one here

It's rather sad (but telling) that 'that old trope' keeps getting rolled out at time like this
Our holy scripture contains a verse that says: "if you kill one person then that is equivalent of killing whole humanity" and "if you saved one person then that is equivalent of saving whole humanity".

Why is when this quote is used you never give us the full verse (or the verse that follows?)

But the dishonesty here is well know and expected
Reply 95
It's rather sad (but telling) that 'that old trope' keeps getting rolled out at time like this

I tagged those 2 because they literally predicted that another muslim would make that same claim even though it's been disproven over and over and over

And over again
Original post by Newsout
I tagged those 2 because they literally predicted that another muslim would make that same claim even though it's been disproven over and over and over

And over again

It'll keep appearing all day
Reply 97
It'll keep appearing all day

Non muslims know more about Islam than most westernised muslim, I can go to court and defend this statement as a fact
Reply 98
Original post by KingBradly
Post all the usual self-serving clichés, deflections, and various iterations of self-righteous apathy that the left will now spew out in regards to this atrocity.

Then, for bonus points, imagine what they would say if the perp wasn't a Muslim.

Pathetic thread.

Owen Jones, on Sky News, had to walk off the set because the right-wing Sky News presenters were trying to minimise the fact that this was, in addition to being a terrorist attack, a disgusting hate crime against the LGBT community, just as the terrorist attack last year in Charlestonn on the black church was also a hate crime against black people.

[video="youtube;9ITdjAb3VcE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ITdjAb3VcE[/video]

So, sorry, but it's the right who aren't calling this attack out for what it is, not the left.

Of course, it's the right who are also employing the same logical errors too. As the psychologist Brad Elphinstone writes: "when an attack is perpetrated by a Muslim it is assumed that the act was due to internal disposition as a Muslim (fundamental attribution error) rather than external factors (e.g., radicalisation after feeling alienated by covert and overt racism), that the perpetrator represents all Muslims (illusory correlation) and that all Muslims are a potential threat because they must all be like that (out-group homogeneity).”

People, including this Sky News presenter, need to change their primitive attitudes to LGBT people, and fast.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by viddy9

Owen Jones, on Sky News, had to walk off the set because the right-wing Sky News presenters were trying to minimise the fact that this was, in addition to being a terrorist attack, a disgusting hate crime against the LGBT community,
[video="youtube;9ITdjAb3VcE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ITdjAb3VcE[/video]

Owen Jones made a fool of himself in that video.

He may also be beginning to regret his sucking up to radical Islam, along with the whole of the regressive left.

The Islamists ally with people like him, use him for political gain, for Taqiya. But at the extreme end they want to kill him, and at the moderate end they want make practising his sexuality against the law.. Islam is homophobic. What part of that don't the left get??

People like Jones will be arguing about LGBT rights and how Islamophobia is the greatest danger when the terrorists storm through his door with Kalashnikovs.

The left are so blind to the danger of Islamism it is terrifying.

Quick Reply

Latest