Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Some tips on dealing with social anxiety, OCD and anxiety!

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Social anxiety, yep its a lot more than just being "shy"and I know how it can be so hard to break that "shell", cosits not like a bubble, it can feel like a giant concrete wall, butwe can try shovel our way through with a spoon and make that spoonmore like a drill.

One thing I try and use to motivate myself to face my socail anxietyis the idea of that feeling of regret if you let that opportunity go, and how this opportunity may turn out great, but I will never knowif I don't try.

I know this doesn't make facing the anxiety any easierbut maybe it can still empower and motivate you to try, and be the firststep.

Meeting new people can be really daunting but before that reel of negative commentary starts running, which can make me feel self conscious of every move I make, I try andremember that most people aren't actually that mean, some peepzare pretty nice. And most people won't even notice half the thingsyou are feeling self consious about, the judgementalness you are fearingis only really coming from those negative thoughts.

All those thoughts like: "I look like an idiot", "they don't like me", "ughh I am so awkward", if new people you've just met think this about you, then they are the idiots, not you! And they are notthat nice people anyway.

Also when meeting new people, try and smile, and if you are in a group, to feel more comfortable, focus on listening to what's everyone is saying, and if you feel like you want to add something, just go ahead say it! Try not to thinkabout it too much, or over analyse, as that is what can stop you.

I know this is so much easier said than done, but trust that awesome feeling you felt whenyou thought of that thing you wanted to say, and just let it out! Its likely you'll get a positive response, and if you do feel like you haveembarassed yourself, laugh it out

Social anxiety can have roots of having a lack of confidence, to improve yourconfidence, practice activities and hobbies you feel confident in, as well astrying new hobbies to learn more skills to become more confident in.

Also toboost your confidence and reduce social anxiety, try not to avoid social situations, I know how it can feel so much nicer avoiding them, but to beat this anxietywe kinda have to.

But that doesn't mean you have to go straight in the deep end, do it one step at a time,in a pace you feel is helping.

Also I once saw a Youtube Video where this youtuber had a snazzy tip of collecting thingslike tickets, pictures f experiences where you didn't let your anxiety stop you from having fun, as a reminderthat you are stronger than this, and to help boost your confidence in new situations.

OCD, yep this is pretty annoying too and can feel pretty sh**ty but we can overcome this!

In my experience I feel the need to check particular things, and after I have checked and afterthat relieving pang of reassurance I feel the annoying anxiety creeping back in, withall the what ifs and that uneasy feeling.

To try and counter this, after I have checked something, at the pang of reassurance I tryand think of a song lyric, tune or an image of something like a pine apple or whatever, tohelp make a mental note that I have checked, and its alright.

So once the what ifs start rollingand uneasy feeling comes, I have that mental note to calm that uneasy feeling and counterthose what ifs.

Also again OCD can be linked to lack of confidence, here are some useful links withsome advice.

Also with OCD and other forms of anxiety, it can help to try and find and understand the root of that. Maybe talk it through with a friend or family member, or make a mind map.And by understanding what is making you anxious and why, you can try and find waystop challenge that root cause, like is this really rational? Can I do something about it?And if its not really in my control, worrying isn't going to do anything so can I try and focus on other things, and try and look on the positive side?

An example: What if I fail my exam? I am going to try my best now, organise my revision, work on the stuff I don't getand give it all my swag, and if I don't do as well as Ihope, then I will learn from the experience and try and retake it.

I hope these tips are kind of helpful, but please talk to your gp or doctor, school/ Uni counsellor if you are facinganxiety and OCD, so you can work out the treatment you need.

All this anxiety can be annoying but we can really overcome this

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Late reply I know but this is a really good post and it seemed a shame it had no replies! Will bump it for you and hope you get some more

The only thing I would add with social anxiety is it can be really good write down things you've managed to do sometimes, both in terms of so you recognise them yourself and also that when you're anxious about a similar situation again you can see that you have managed it before and it is possible. Setting yourself small targets can work in the same way and a sense of achievement when you've managed them. I'm lucky enough not to have any experience of OCD myself but I'd imagine they'd eork for that too, and other mental illnesses!

Here are some more personal tips for dealing with repetitive thoughts.

Linking back to the last post, when you are facing repetitive thoughts,they are usually related to a root worry, so it can be helpful to understand whats really bothering you, that its causing a repetitive string of thoughts.

It can be useful to talk it out with someone trusted, and also maybe drawing a mind map. Personally I found it useful keeping a worry log, where I wrote my worry, and a rating out of ten, of how strong the worry felt. Then I made a challenge column, where I challenged my worry or negative thoughts and tried to find solutions. And then I gave a rating of how strong the worry felt after challenging it. I found this kind of useful, as it helped me think more clearly and rationally in dealing with my worries, like the example above

When you are feeling really anxious, practicing mindfulness can help you relax, and think more clearly.

Also expressing your emotions through singing, dancing, art etc can be really useful, personally dancing made me feel better.

Also making a playlist with songs that really get you, that you can really feel, can feel really comforting and make the experience easier. Also making a playlist of upbeat songs can also lift you up, when you are left feeling down.

If you have any cool tips, or some snazzy helpful songs , please share!

Even though anxiety can be annoying af, we can get through it!

Great advice.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.