The Student Room Group

What should I do for my Masters?

I'm currently studying English and Creative Writing and hope to do a masters after my BA. However, I'm unsure what masters to do. I had considered creative writing considering I'd like to be a writer but I also have been playing with the idea of starting my own nightclub/cafe. This route seems a lot more business management based which I've never had any experience in. What should I do?
Original post by HolleyCatherynne
I'm currently studying English and Creative Writing and hope to do a masters after my BA. However, I'm unsure what masters to do. I had considered creative writing considering I'd like to be a writer but I also have been playing with the idea of starting my own nightclub/cafe. This route seems a lot more business management based which I've never had any experience in. What should I do?

You must do whatever your masters say. Do not disobey the masters for the punishment will be severe.
How many successful writers have a BA and MA in the subject? Academic study isn't necessarily the best route into the creative subjects.

Rather than committing your time, money and energy to a particular course just now I'd suggest you focus on figuring out what you'd like to do first (writing/business/something else?) Speak to the careers service, get some work experience in a club/cafe, maybe try some free business MOOC courses to help narrow down your options. Masters courses will still be there in a couple of years so you don't have to decide straight away. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by HolleyCatherynne

You don't need to do an MA in Creative Writing to be a writer. To an extent, being a writer is something you either have or you don't.

Do something more worthwhile (Law/Accountancy conversion, Economics)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending