The Student Room Group

Why can't people learn to grow a thick skin?

Why are some people so just weak and intolerable?
They get insulted once and the start crying or whatever or they get all emotional about it, like wtf grow a skin on top of your skin to not get hurt

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How dare you say such things! Who are you to say that people are weak and intolerable?
Original post by Big white
They get insulted once and the start crying or whatever or they get all emotional about it, like wtf grow a skin on top of your skin to not get hurt

People are raised to be weak by their parents, they never grew a backbone because they were never exposed to anything dangerous or insulting that they personally had to deal with
Reply 3
Original post by michellincaptain
People are raised to be weak by their parents, they never grew a backbone because they were never exposed to anything dangerous or insulting that they personally had to deal with

Well they need to learn :angry:

Some people just take a lot longer to grow a thick skin. Now, you have to realize a lot of people are going to hate on you now for making this thread :redface:
Reply 5
Original post by michellincaptain

Not necessarily. People can be raised by parents to be ''strong'' and to ''have a thick skin'', but if they're in a situation where the parent(s) is/are emotionally abusive then they're not going to develop that backbone as they'd be too riddled with emotionally difficulty.
I'm the most sensitive person I know. I let absolutely everything bother me. I don't know how to get over it, otherwise I would have done so by now :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by UWS
How dare you say such things! Who are you to say that people are weak and intolerable?

A human observing a weak human who will be consumed by the wrath of hell
Original post by Mrs.Grey
Some people just take a lot longer to grow a thick skin. Now, you have to realize a lot of people are going to hate on you now for making this thread :redface:

I wanted to spark some debate because revising for philosophy is a little boring after a while
Original post by Changing Skies
I'm the most sensitive person I know. I let absolutely everything bother me. I don't know how to get over it, otherwise I would have done so by now :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

........ well then
because we have a legal/political and social atmosphere where being offended is rewarded by the government whom coerce those whom are claimed to be offensive. simple. it's social engineering, and devolution.

I wanted to spark some debate because revising for philosophy is a little boring after a while

Ah I see, I was revising for Maths like ew.
I actually agree with you here. Once I said some small, offensive joke and my friend went mad and didn't talk to me for 2 days. And it just makes me think why can't everyone just chill the hell out and move on
Reply 11
Original post by sleepysnooze
because we have a legal/political and social atmosphere where being offended is rewarded by the government whom coerce those whom are claimed to be offensive. simple. it's social engineering, and devolution.

-.- natural selection is better
Original post by Mrs.Grey
Ah I see, I was revising for Maths like ew.

well you can only like a subject soooo much

Because of a lot of factors:
experiences
being spoilt
Being dependant
Having always been popular
I've seen people cry about detentions; people usually make situations out to be more scary than they really are like a thirty minute detention is gonna be your first warning before prison or something.

well you can only like a subject soooo much

True true true
Reply 14
Original post by cookie123456789
I actually agree with you here. Once I said some small, offensive joke and my friend went mad and didn't talk to me for 2 days. And it just makes me think why can't everyone just chill the hell out and move on

Same like that happens so much to me and ppl hold grudges and i'm like **** off, i mean sometimes i hold grudges if the stuff they did to me was really bad >.> but mine usually last the rest of the day then they're gone
Original post by CorpusLuteum
experiences
being spoilt
Being dependant
I've seen people cry about detentions; people usually make situations out to be more scary than they really are like a thirty minute detention is gonna be your first warning before prison or something.

How weak and idiotic are they to cry about detentions... wtf? OH NOE YOU GOT A DETENTION YOU'LL BE IN ****ING JAIL FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
I'ma pretty guarded person, so I've been advised by my parents to let the walls down and be open to be more sociable etc but as soon as I do that ofc someone comes along and is mean or I get uncomfy so I put the walls up again to prevent it happening again- I just want to learn how to keep these walls down 24/7 and not get so scared :angry: Grown up always being picked on about my weight and appearance so apparently this is normal???? doesnt feel like it ah
Same like that happens so much to me and ppl hold grudges and i'm like **** off, i mean sometimes i hold grudges if the stuff they did to me was really bad >.> but mine usually last the rest of the day then they're gone

How weak and idiotic are they to cry about detentions... wtf? OH NOE YOU GOT A DETENTION YOU'LL BE IN ****ING JAIL FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE

It's mostly year 7-9 though lol. They're usually scared of change anyway,
Reply 17

:facepalm:
experiences
being spoilt
Being dependant

^This.

My maths teacher said you only have to stare at year 7s and they burst into tears. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)

Because mommy and daddy babied them too much, too protective and sheltered. And then when they are thrown into the real world they don't know what to do with themselves?

Quick Reply

Latest