The Student Room Group

How Hard Is Maths A Level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by GCSE2016Troop
Give your opinion whether you have studied it or not :smile:

Definitely very subjective on how naturally good at maths u are. I found it ez pz but i know others who werent great at it and struggled
Yes, what language am i speaking in now 😂😂.

What I was simply saying was "GO GET A LIFE" as your previous pessimistic perception might discourage some ppl picking subjects like maths(which might be amusing and enjoyable to THEM, not to arrogant ppl who get D on maths) for their a levels this year.....

What? What did u just say right there? You are going to do a BioChem course, lmao 😂🔫. I advise u not too for Pete's sake and i also advise you to seek for a mental assylum in the UK or overseas as you might still be going through "SOME" traumatic experience after you got that D on maths.

Good luck getting an overall U on maths at the end of A2.
Original post by 34908seikj
First paper harder than the second, however I should have done better in both. I dropped around 4 marks for misreading questions and silly mistakes, while on paper two I dropped 8 for said reason. I still should get an A* though since I got a minimum of 85 on the first paper and 92 on the second.All-in-all a fairly nice paper.

Do you remember how many marks you got at gcse.....180/200 or more/less?
Original post by ARK_REVISES
Do you remember how many marks you got at gcse.....180/200 or more/less?

Don't really know what you mean. I did my GCSEs this year and according the the unofficial mark scheme I got 177/200 minimum, as when I added up the questions I got right I didn't include any possible marks for my method on questions that I got wrong.
Should I pick A level Maths? I think I have achieved a B in GCSE Maths and that's all is required to get onto the A level course. I am thinking about an Economics, Finance and Accounting or Law degree. I know you don't need Maths in Law but may need it in the other two. I was originally gonna pick History, English Literature, Economics and Government and Politics but thinking of changing the Government and Politics to Maths. I really hate Maths and dreaded it at GCSE but pushed myself to get a B should I bother with A level?
Original post by Tinka99
Should I pick A level Maths? I think I have achieved a B in GCSE Maths and that's all is required to get onto the A level course. I am thinking about an Economics, Finance and Accounting or Law degree. I know you don't need Maths in Law but may need it in the other two. I was originally gonna pick History, English Literature, Economics and Government and Politics but thinking of changing the Government and Politics to Maths. I really hate Maths and dreaded it at GCSE but pushed myself to get a B should I bother with A level?

If you think that you have got a high B grade and enjoy Maths then yes. I'll be doing it even if I get a high B rather than an A.
Reply 86
Original post by Jamie Vardy
If you think that you have got a high B grade and enjoy Maths then yes. I'll be doing it even if I get a high B rather than an A.

What mark do you think you got out of 200?
Original post by Rajive
What mark do you think you got out of 200?

I do AQA Modular. I have got Unit 3 tomorrow (the last module) which is out of 80, I reckon I'll get about 55?

Overall I should get around 130-140/200.
Original post by Tinka99

don't do it, if you hate it! Also, it will be difficult if you hate it and also aren't getting A*s at GCSE.
@Tinka99 just ignore @1jonam16. He's just jealous that you're capable and is trying to put you off. A B grade is more than enough. A-level Maths is useful in terms of employment opportunities.

Good luck!
Original post by 1jonam16
don't do it, if you hate it! Also, it will be difficult if you hate it and also aren't getting A*s at GCSE.

Thank you, I will surely take that in mind. I never really managed to grasp GCSE A* Maths topics and some A ones and struggled and hated the subject but managed to still get a secure B I think. Do you do A level Maths?
Original post by Tinka99
Thank you, I will surely take that in mind. I never really managed to grasp GCSE A* Maths topics and some A ones and struggled and hated the subject but managed to still get a secure B I think. Do you do A level Maths?

i will be, it seems quite easy, though a level further maths is too much!
Original post by Jamie Vardy
@Tinka99 just ignore @1jonam16. He's just jealous that you're capable and is trying to put you off. A B grade is more than enough. A-level Maths is useful in terms of employment opportunities.

Good luck!

what do you mean? If you hate a subject there's no point taking it? Also, I know some schools require minimum A*, even then some students gets Us at A-level because it is so much harder that GCSE. Why would I be jealous?
Original post by Tinka99

I think what you should do is contact a potential university or go online and check their requirements. See what;s said. If you want to do economics maths may be useful, but more often that not GCSE is just about enough. The way i see it is if you do something you hate at A Level, just because it "looks good", you'll have to torture yourself to work and you may hate it so much that you don't try or care. You could instead get an A* in Lit if you enjoy it. As you said, you won't be doing a maths degree and since these are the last two years of secondary school, broad education, it's best not to waste it,
Original post by LearnForYOU
A Levels are overrated lmao, unless you went to get into medicine or something across that field science is good if you want to get in to uni.

Universities don't care about your subjects with exceptions of some specific ones, they just care about the GRADES. I'd chose the most easiest A Levels bang out A/A*'s and get in to an amazing university and do the course you love...

Simple. Don't put so much stress on your self, enjoy your summer don't even look at work!

I am so here for this advice, just yas
Uhm... not that difficult, but requires effort.

I just gave up on it to focus on my three other AS subjects, in which I got much better grades in.
Reply 96
I just about scraped an A in it and it was difficult but not impossible.

C1 was very easy.
C2/S1/M1 was okay.
C3 was a big step up and the harder questions were really challenging for me
C4 was easier than C3 for me, but only just.
Original post by Peppercrunch
Uhm... not that difficult, but requires effort.

I just gave up on it to focus on my three other AS subjects, in which I got much better grades in.

What was your other three subjects and what grades did you end up achieving?
Original post by GCSE2016Troop
What was your other three subjects and what grades did you end up achieving?

AABC in Biology, Geography, Chemistry and Maths respectively.

However, I now find the difficulty of chemistry on par with biology and geography as I've never gotten below an A in an A level chemistry mock. I guess dropping maths allowed me to focus much more on it.
Original post by 98matt
Maths , further maths, physics & chemistry :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you please tell me what Physics is like?? :h:

Quick Reply

Latest