The Student Room Group

Gap year Questions

Hey guys, I am currently in year 12 and i'm seriously considering taking a gap year, but I have a few questions: Do I have to apply to uni in year 13 or can I apply during my gap year? also, Can I submit my A2 results or Do I have to submit AS grades? Also, during the gap year, how can I get teacher letter of recommendations and stuff, i'm really confused as to how my school will help me during my application process during my gap year.

Thank you!
Reply 1
Help me please :frown:
What's best to do is apply in your last year of school but apply for a differed entry which means you go the following year. Or you can do what I did and apply for uni this year and then if you get a place, you email the uni and ask them to change it to a defered entry, that means you don't have to worry about getting into uni at all in your gap year and you can focus on having fun!
Defered entry** sorry. Look up what it means if you don't know. Basically it allows you to take a gap year
Original post by Mathsqueen
Hey guys, I am currently in year 12 and i'm seriously considering taking a gap year, but I have a few questions: Do I have to apply to uni in year 13 or can I apply during my gap year? also, Can I submit my A2 results or Do I have to submit AS grades? Also, during the gap year, how can I get teacher letter of recommendations and stuff, i'm really confused as to how my school will help me during my application process during my gap year.

Thank you!

You can either apply for deferred entry in year 13, or apply in your gap year - are you certain what you want to study? I applied in my gap year and got the deputy head of my sixth form to write me a reference - why don't you contact them and ask what their policy is? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
You're better off applying in year 13, and going for deferred entry. The support of a reference from your school + predicted grades will help your application. You won't get this if you apply in your gap year.
Original post by AR_95
You're better off applying in year 13, and going for deferred entry. The support of a reference from your school + predicted grades will help your application. You won't get this if you apply in your gap year.

Would argue that this isn't entirely true - I applied in my gap year and still managed to get a reference from my school plus had my actual exam results to put on my application, which meant I had met their entry requirements already. Also, I was able to add more to my personal statement based on what I had done in the last year. However, if you already know for sure what you want to study, then makes sense to apply for deferred entry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest