Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Finding a summer job...

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm looking to find a temporary summer job this summer just to gain experience and to earn a bit of money. I know I've left it quite late but I live in a touristy, seaside city so I'm hoping somewhere will be looking for a bit of extra help. Anyway I just wanted to know how to apply for a job etc and have a few questions about it, thanks! Thinking I'd quite like to work in a cafe or something similar.

1. Do I just go in and hand my CV and cover letter to whoever on the till and ask them to hand it to the manager or do I ask to speak to the manager or what?

2. How do I work out with them when I'd be working? Will they just tell me when I'm gonna be working or will they ask me when I can/ can't work and how long i can work for etc?

3. Ive booked some festivals and holidays this summer but they could clash with days I'm meant to be working. Would I tell my employer these dates when I apply as I'm just looking for a summer job or do I just wait until closer to the time or what?

hoping someone can answer my questions, thanks for your help

What sort of money are you looking to be on?

(Original post by Izzie999)
    ................................ ..
    Best to go in and ask/look for signs, go home and then write a tailored CV and covering letter, than just hand out generic papers. Whatever, put it in a sealed envelope addressed to The Manager, Shop Name.

You wait for a job offer before discussing hours/shifts, unless they ask before that.

Employers looking for people to work the summer, want people to work all summer, so you are unlikely to get an offer if you begin by saying when you can't work. Tell them once you have an offer, but if there is too much time off, expect to have to give something up unless the employer is very flexible.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.