The Student Room Group

Sixth form or IT Apprenticeship

I've recently had the oppurtunity to be able to do an apprenticeship in IT where its more customer service based. They offer a wide range of support from finding everyday faults in a computer to managing servers. I want to end up really as a Security Programmer so having IT experience would be great and I see this as a great oppurtunity but my mum and family thinks otherwise. In Sixth form i would study Physics, Maths, Law and Design. So, the question is do I pick apprenticeship or sixth form? I will find out more information on this tomorrow such as how long it will be for, what qualification i will get out of it, etc. (Will be updated tomorrow)
Original post by Dimerz
I've recently had the oppurtunity to be able to do an apprenticeship in IT where its more customer service based. They offer a wide range of support from finding everyday faults in a computer to managing servers. I want to end up really as a Security Programmer so having IT experience would be great and I see this as a great oppurtunity but my mum and family thinks otherwise. In Sixth form i would study Physics, Maths, Law and Design. So, the question is do I pick apprenticeship or sixth form? I will find out more information on this tomorrow such as how long it will be for, what qualification i will get out of it, etc. (Will be updated tomorrow)

I would list the pros and cons of both, talk to people in that sector and see if you can find information on the internet about IT apprenticeships. Did your family say why they're against the apprenticeship?

You might find these links useful:
IT and technology forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=510 looking through some of the threads might be useful to you
Apprenticeship forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=516 has a lot of useful information, check out the coloured threads at the top!

I've also moved this thread so you can hopefully get better advice. Good luck in your decision! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dimerz

This might be worth a read, and should give you an idea of where you should be going > Click me
Reply 3
No, definenty not doing apprenticeship as even my teacher whos an expert in carrers has said 'if your able to do sixth form do that and by the grades we're looking from you, you seem capable'. I've always though and even my family has though that apprenticeships is for people who aren't really ready to continue with studies as sixth form is pretty hard, much harder than GCSE's. Oh well, will just have to let that one slip from me.
I would say sixth form is the better option - especially if you're likely to get good grades.
I'd would also suggest utilising the summer holidays to learn a programming language (I would suggest Python) and
maybe approaching some local IT companies for a couple of weeks work experience.
All those who have said sixth form have obvs never worked in IT.. experience>>>qualifications

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending