Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Masters advice. Help

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I graduated from the University of Aberdeen in 2014 with a 2.2 degree in Economics & Finance. I was struggling with un-treated depression during my honors years but I am currently seeking help for it now and on the road to recovery.
    Feeling better, I would love to pursue a Master's in Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or Financial Mathematics. (I have been working as an analyst for a government agency and I am currently a data analyst for Thomson Reuters with experience in business and statistical modelling).
    My question is: With my background, what are my chances of getting into a master's program at a decent university in the fields I mentioned (statistics, data science, applied mathematics, financial mathematics) ?

What do you mean with your depression background, or your grade ?

I feel as though you can get into a really good university, you'd have to look a little harder for those who accept 2.2s. Though personally I would not do a full time course whilst dealing with depression. I only say the latter because I got into my masters with a 2.2 (full time), currently I have finished the taught part of the course but the work load was really really stressful (often accompanied by crying). I was having deadlines every week or every other week in comparison to my peers doing part time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.