The Student Room Group

Should I homeschool my A2 levels, or start a new sixth form?

Hello,
Basically, I've had a very difficult time since GCSEs in regards to health, personal factors, family life. My parents moved at a really late stage of year 11, and I had to end up taking all of my GCSE exams in sixth form and I'm doing three years instead of two. In sixth form, I self studied three IGCSEs outside of college, and got two A grades as well as, a C grade (I didn't revise sufficiently for that last exam). I did a remaining 3-4 subjects in college. So I have experience self studying and really I self studied my entire GCSE year because, my college only offered GCSE subjects are re-sits in foundation tier, but I was doing hier so i self learned all of the revision for the higher tier knowledge as well. I just finished my AS level exams, and going into A2 in September. I've had some really difficult home issues in my AS year as well as, health issues. This resulted in my attendance not being what it should be, and my parents didn't phone in to explain the situation. This has all resulted in my college telling me they're not giving me a place for my second (technically third) year. I'm really disappointed by this, so i've spoken to my local council service and they're going to try and speak to my college, and me as well.

But, if everything doesn't work out with my college I was thinking of whether I should homeschool for my A2 Levels? I say this, because I did not find AS levels extremely hard and did really well with my revision and notes etc. I have experience of it, and I know that i'm dedicated and won't slack off work or anything, as during my self study GCSE year I was really disiplined. Even though my attendance wasn't great, i've done really well in all my moc exams, and know the whole homeschooling system as well. My problem is that i'm doing three A Levels and two of them (History, English Literature ) have coursework components in the final year. I don't know how I would organise this or who would mark my work? Do you think I would be able to ask my college to at least mark my coursework and all that stuff if i paid fees as an external student? or would I have to find some other place like a tuition service, where maybe the teacher there could mark my work?

Also, in terms of my school reference/predicted grades, could I get my college to fill these in? I spoke to them about if i went to a new college, would they complete the references/predicted grades fro me and they said no since the new college would do it. But if i was homeschooled, would they listen since I wouldn't have a school or anything like that?

With all this being said, do you think I should just go to a new sixth form for A2 year instead, as it's simpler? the reason I'm hesitant is because I've checked all the sixth form course descriptions and the content they have studied in their A Levels is completely different to me. I would have to catch up on a years worth of AS content, new exam board, exam structure etc. I've got a really good knowledge of my current exam boards content/exam structure and I think it would be hard for me to learn the AS stuff as well as, get my A2 work done and do my uni application at the same time. I'm sorry for such a long question, but I just wanted to ask all the points I was curious about, and if anyone can help I would really appreciate it! thank you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Could you tell me how to move it? I'm not sure?

Quick Reply

Latest