The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ive never heard anyone need an S grade. How long have Cambridge been asking for 1,1? I always thought it was 1,2 with a 2 in either STEP II or III with a little bit of variation from college to college. A couple of years ago, St Johns used to require a grade 1 in either STEP II or III, so you could fail STEP III for example and still get in provided you got a 1 in STEP II. Dont know what it is now though.
ukgea
Poor you...

I think it's actually standard practice to give I, II offers to EU/International applicants. Because of different contents taught in Maths in school perhaps?

I guess, tho if anyone asks i'd go with "yeah, EU applicants are so great we're practically always given unconditionals" :wink:
Speleo
I thought the exact same thing as you until I did FP2 (can't comment on FP3 yet :tongue:) on friday and it took me at least an hour and a quarter to get through. Two and a bit times that length doesn't seem that much now. It also doesn't help that I'm better at STEP II :tongue:

What's causing me a bit of stress is that I have very little conception of how good I am at STEP relative to the average person who's taking it. How do you guys think we (as in maths forum posters) rate as a group compared to the average Cambridge offer holder?

Moaning aside, it should be fun
Well, I suppose a really high proportion did get offers. There are definitely a few S,S's on this board I would say.

ukgea
Poor you...

I think it's actually standard practice to give I, II offers to EU/International applicants. Because of different contents taught in Maths in school perhaps?
Yeah that'll be right. Before I applied I got told I would get a I,II offer if I got an offer. Yet another advantage of being Scottish.

The other, of course, being that we get all the girls.
Went for Cambridge as a long shot, and now seriously regretting a lack of research. Should have tracked down a college with lower offers :s-smilie:
Reply 24
Good luck everyone (except you bastards with Trinity offers), remember don't talk about the exam until 12 hours after, unlike Edexcel A-levels you could be directly significantly disadvantaged if someone reads about the exam before they do it.
Reply 25
Speleo
Good luck everyone (except you bastards with Trinity offers), remember don't talk about the exam until 12 hours after, unlike Edexcel A-levels you could be directly significantly disadvantaged if someone reads about the exam before they do it.

Yeah, good luck to all! And thanks to all of you who've been hanging around here during the past few months of STEP preparation; I know that I for one certainly wouldn't have done as much STEP as I have were it not for all the company offered here. And I certainly learned a lot of tricks and gained new perspectives from all the markscheme threads. So thank you all, and have a pleasant STEP III eve!
Reply 26
Speleo

lol so true - its all such a big overreaction
i dont know why it is so hard to understand - people in hong kong do the exam BEFORE WE DO, grrr.

Oh and good luck everyone!
good luck! it's all we really need now
Luck is definitely what I need....
Reply 29
All you need is luck! bum ba bu-bu-bum
All you need is luck, luck, luck; luck is all you need.
Anyone know when we can start talking bout the paper?
Reply 31
4:30 in the morning if you're still up.
I have the paper btw so I'll post that tomorrow.
Speleo
All you need is luck, luck, luck; luck is all you need.
Someone's sounding cheery.

They're discussing the papers at nrich just now. Not so facist after all I guess :p:
Reply 33
Speleo
What's causing me a bit of stress is that I have very little conception of how good I am at STEP relative to the average person who's taking it. How do you guys think we (as in maths forum posters) rate as a group compared to the average Cambridge offer holder?

I know this is a little late, as you've already come out the other side of one STEP exam, but I'd say the regular Maths forum posters are on average quite a bit better than the average Cambridge offer holder, and if it's anything like last year very few will fail to meet their offer (whereas some 30%+ of offer holders get culled by failing their STEP conditions, if I recall correctly).

In particular, from your posts on TSR I'd say you have very little to worry about - you're a damn sight better at STEP than I was this time last year, and I've just finished the first year at Cambridge having got a first. I'm sure you'll do very well. :smile:

Good luck with STEP II guys!
Reply 34
Thanks, and congratulations on your first :smile:
Reply 35
When reading all this I so wish I would have applied to Cambridge :frown:, damn it! why didn't I get information about the application deadline (stupid Sweden)?! Bah, I guess I would have failed any way :P

Best of luck to you going to cambridge after summer! And think about poor me getting to pay the double studying in London :smile:
Reply 36
ukgea
Poor you...

It depends on individual cases. I got a 1,2 for STEP I&II but that's because I do very little maths at school. While another Italian I met had a 1,1 II&III from Trinity , but he had studied it and was already at University when applied ( CS).

Anyhow.. Easy STEP offers rule!

Latest