The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
if they offer you a place they aren't gonna take it away if you defer... especially if you explain why what you're doing on your gap year is useful and constructive...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm not sure that's strictly true. I think Jelkin was in a similar situation, it might be worth talking to her.
It's maths and physics / similar where they don't like gap years, because you forget a lot of stuff... I don't see why there would be any problem for arts / social sciences.
Reply 4
Yep, when I asked to defer they told me where to go. I hate the English Department. It was nothing to do with my reasons for taking a gap year, just English Department policy - they didn't ask what I'd be doing or what my reasons were. However, if you apply for deferred entry then that's different - they have a limited number of spaces allocated for people who apply for deferred entry. If you already hold a place for 2007 entry, though, they won't let you defer. I reapplied anyway, because I was desperate for a gap year, and I was thankfully given another offer (to be honest it didn't really cross my mind too much that I might not get one). I suppose it depends how much you want a gap year!

EDIT: They don't mind you having a gap year at all, it's only if you ask to defer when you're already holding an offer that they refuse point blank. I begged and begged, especially when I'd got better grades than my offer, but they still said no.

Latest