The Student Room Group

DNA Fingerprinting Ethical Issues

Hi,

I am studying A2 Salters B chemistry and I have my chemistry of materials exam tomorrow. In some of the past papers I have done there are questions that ask about the ethical issues of DNA fingerprinting. However in each mark scheme there are always slightly different answers and I have never once been able to get full marks on these questions, I have read every book I have available and tried to research this on the internet but I cannot find any surefire answers that could get me the marks every time. If somebody could help me that would be great. Here is an example "Give one advantage and one disadvantage of using DNA fingerprinting".

Thanks,
James
Original post by leewest_
Hi,

I am studying A2 Salters B chemistry and I have my chemistry of materials exam tomorrow. In some of the past papers I have done there are questions that ask about the ethical issues of DNA fingerprinting. However in each mark scheme there are always slightly different answers and I have never once been able to get full marks on these questions, I have read every book I have available and tried to research this on the internet but I cannot find any surefire answers that could get me the marks every time. If somebody could help me that would be great. Here is an example "Give one advantage and one disadvantage of using DNA fingerprinting".

Thanks,
James

I do it as well, 2015 paper markscheme has some and also one other paper in the 09-14 series but 2015 markscheme is the one they are likely to accept. I would go for the points they have on everyone. In 2015 they rejected personal liberty as it wasn't relevant to the question and so you must make sure, once memorising all the points,which points are relevant.

Jan 2010 markscheme: Question was that some people believe DNA fingerprints of innocent people should be removed, other people disagree. Suggest a reason for each view:
For removal:
-infringement of personal liberty
-fingerprint not unique/only a probability
techniques used not foolproof
-law/type of government might change accessibilty (ie: to data on fingerprints)

Against removal:
-helps to solve many crimes, particularly cold crimes
-innocent until proven guilty
future reasearch into disease

June 15 was:
Why would people CHOOSE to have it stored:to find out about relatives or to diagnose/treat disease. You could get this by looking at the points above and seeing that disease treatment is a positive one.

Why people may be reuqired to give a DNA sample: -they are police or criminal suspects. This is quite evident as REQUIRED means kinda forced and they may not want to, so solving cold crimes should come to mind.

Why are people, after giving DNA, ALLOWED to have it removed - quite simple as if you give it for a crime and then you are allowed to take it away - its quite clear that you have been cleared of your crime/proven innocent/not found guilty/infringres privacy is kept after investigation/prevents access by others

This had a paragraph about DNA fingerprinting being important to family historians and also sayin genetic fingerprinting is used by the police, so they kinda signposted that one
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you very much, good luck with your exam!

Quick Reply

Latest