The Student Room Group

LGBT against Islamophobia

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by DiddyDec
But perscuting homosexuals is.

And those actually persecuting homosexuals are a small minority.
QUOTE=sfaraj;65834145]love always wins

the lgbt community does suffer from homophobia but from all religions and races no matter what, but it doesnt mean they have to fight hate with hate.

the lgbt comunity is made up of muslims as well

Practicing Muslims who are accepted by their community? I very much doubt it.

That's a huge cop out. How many Christian countries routinely kill gay people?
Original post by RobML
So why are you so heavily against those against condemning all Muslims?

Because they are defending a religion that actively supports homophobia, bigotry and sexism.

The people in the "LGBT against Islamophobia" seem like they're suffering from some sort of stockholm syndrome. They are bending over to the religion that says they should be killed. This is exactly the reason this is so pathetic.

In addition, "Islamophobia" does not exsist in the traditional sense. When someone talks about a "phobia" these days, they usualy refer to an irrational fear (arachnophobia, homophobia etc). The "fear" of islam however is as rational as the fear of radioactive fallout after a nuclear explosion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sfaraj
but then when people fight, they are violent and dont belong in society

if you love- you die
if you fight- you get hate for not loving your neighbours

Self defence is perfectly acceptable.
the LGTBQ+ community is a huge and diverse group of people filled to the brim with love and acceptance, there is no room for hate, especially at this time. just because one person who was a Muslim committed the atrocity, it does not mean that they will suddenly hate an entire religion, and everyone within it. Love will always be more powerful than hatred, and love will always win <3 I'm sorry that some of you cannot see or understand that.
QUOTE=DiddyDec;65835685]Self defence is perfectly acceptable.[ QUOTE]

I honestly think some people have lost their minds. We should be encouraging moderate Muslims to clamp down on any suspected extremist elements. There is a huge problem within the community and it needs to be proactively dealt with. Instead people just mindlessly say "It isn't all Muslims" and assign absolutely no blame to the religion whatsoever. Sheer stupidity which won't solve anything.

It IS the religion and something needs to be done.
Original post by Mrs.Grey
Islam in general shouldn't be bashed because it is perf as a religion

hilarious
Original post by RobML
And those actually persecuting homosexuals are a small minority.

Don't be ridiculous.

Do you think muslims being hostile to homosexuals is a minority?

Persecute - subject (someone) to hostility and ill-treatment, especially because of their race or political or religious beliefs.
Reply 88
Original post by Galaxie501
Because they are defending a religion that actively supports homophobia, bigotry and sexism.

The people in the "LGBT against Islamophobia" seem like they're suffering from some sort of stockholm syndrome. They are bending over to the religion that says they should be killed. This is exactly the reason this is so pathetic.

In addition, "Islamophobia" does not exsist in the traditional sense. When someone talks about a "phobia" these days, they usualy refer to an irrational fear (arachnophobia, homophobia etc). The "fear" of islam however is as rational as the fear of radioactive fallout after a nuclear explosion.

Well, depending on how far they're taking this campaign, they're either being the bigger man so-to-speak and resisting irrational hate toward innocent individuals, or they're being irrationally apologetic. Do you have proof for either?
Reply 89
Don't be ridiculous.

Do you think muslims being hostile to homosexuals is a minority?

Persecute - subject (someone) to hostility and ill-treatment, especially because of their race or political or religious beliefs.

If I had to wager, yes. Although it's difficult to have faith in any position regarding this, seeing as there's not really any readily-available statistics
Reply 90
why do people keep saying its wrong to be islamophobic? it is an ideology which must be open to criticism and satire.

why do people keep using the argument "we don't judge christianity on the basis of a few KKK members' actions, so why do we judge islam on the basis of the orlando shooting?" --- quite simply, we are not basing our contempt for islam on isis or the orlando shooter, we look at your quran and hadith and MUHAMMAD is good enough reason to be terrified and disgusted by anyone who claims to be a follower of him, whether or not they follow his actions entirely. the fact that they even think its acceptable to be a member of this religion is shocking.
The actions of a few?

Maybe you check how almost every single Islamic nation persecutes homosexuals.

What is the punishment for homosexuality under Islamic law? Death.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not "almost every single nation" and it's not always death. There are some that just fine homosexuals and some countries have it legal. I think it's possible for more states to make it legal in due time.
Original post by YaliaV
QUOTE=champ_mc99;65728253]When they say Islamophobia, I'm pretty sure they mean anti-Muslim bigotry.

Muslim bigotry is a far more pressing issue though. Why do we need to be tolerant of Islam, but Muslims can do and say whatever the hell they want? It only ever seems to work one way.

What do you mean? I never said you need to be tolerant of Islam. Bigotry is prejudice against Muslims kinda like anti sematism.

Muslims are not free from the law. If you're talking about Islamists wanting to establish Sharia then that's free speech I'm afraid but that doesn't mean you don't have the right to speak out against them. What I mean by bigotry is don't throw a a guy off a bus because he's Muslim.
Original post by champ_mc99
It's not "almost every single nation" and it's not always death. There are some that just fine homosexuals and some countries have it legal. I think it's possible for more states to make it legal in due time.

Giving them fines is still persecuting.

Which have it legal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Original post by champ_mc99
Muslim bigotry is a far more pressing issue though. Why do we need to be tolerant of Islam, but Muslims can do and say whatever the hell they want? It only ever seems to work one way.

What do you mean? I never said you need to be tolerant of Islam. Bigotry is prejudice against Muslims kinda like anti sematism.

Muslims are not free from the law. If you're talking about Islamists wanting to establish Sharia then that's free speech I'm afraid but that doesn't mean you don't have the right to speak out against them. What I mean by bigotry is don't throw a a guy off a bus because he's Muslim.

its nothing like anti semitism as Jews are a race, and anti-semitism is therefore racism, however, to have a problem with their faith and religious beliefs (torah, old testament bible) is absolutely acceptable.

have you noticed how every religion in the world faces criticism and satire daily? but do you remember the charlie hebdo attacks?

even non radical muslims in my school HATE charlie hebdo for drawing muhammad and making fun of him, they even thing they were "asking for" their attack. disgusting.
QUOTE=champ_mc99;65836639]Muslim bigotry is a far more pressing issue though. Why do we need to be tolerant of Islam, but Muslims can do and say whatever the hell they want? It only ever seems to work one way.[ QUOTE]

Muslims are not free from the law. If you're talking about Islamists wanting to establish Sharia then that's free speech I'm afraid but that doesn't mean you don't have the right to speak out against them. What I mean by bigotry is don't throw a a guy off a bus because he's Muslim.[ QUOTE]

We can't really criticise Islam at all - Muslims have a free pass, as any criticism is labelled as "Islamophobia".

I have never heard any Muslim call for action within their community in tackling extremism. I'm sure many moderates know where the extremists are operating from, as people generally aren't indoctrinated in isolation. Muslims tacitly seem to condone extremism by not speaking out.

Even so-called moderate muslims are full of bile and hatred. They are allowed to voice their opinions under the guise of free speech and freedom of religion, but we can't criticise this at all. Free speech only seems to operate in one direction. It really is hypocritical, illogical and pathetic.

I think many are afraid to speak out against Islam, as we all know what can happen - when a culture of violence is so endemic in a religion, then that religion is seriously flawed. It isn't a coincidence that many Muslim countries are so barbaric and oppressive.
Original post by dnr_23

its nothing like anti semitism as Jews are a race, and anti-semitism is therefore racism, however, to have a problem with their faith and religious beliefs (torah, old testament bible) is absolutely acceptable.

have you noticed how every religion in the world faces criticism and satire daily? but do you remember the charlie hebdo attacks?

even non radical muslims in my school HATE charlie hebdo for drawing muhammad and making fun of him, they even thing they were "asking for" their attack. disgusting.

Umm ok, to have a problem with the faith is acceptable I agree.

EDIT: About Charlie Hebdo... I, as a Muslim, found the cartoons offensive but I still condemned the attacks like many others did.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by YaliaV

We can't really criticise Islam at all - Muslims have a free pass, as any criticism is labelled as "Islamophobia".

I have never heard any Muslim call for action within their community in tackling extremism. I'm sure many moderates know where the extremists are operating from, as people generally aren't indoctrinated in isolation. Muslims tacitly seem to condone extremism by not speaking out.

Even so-called moderate muslims are full of bile and hatred. They are allowed to voice their opinions under the guise of free speech and freedom of religion, but we can't criticise this at all. Free speech only seems to operate in one direction. It really is hypocritical, illogical and pathetic.

I think many are afraid to speak out against Islam, as we all know what can happen - when a culture of violence is so endemic in a religion, then that religion is seriously flawed. It isn't a coincidence that many Muslim countries are so barbaric and oppressive.

Yeah ok you should be free to criticise religion and free speech should be in both directions. Bigotry in all forms is unacceptable.
Giving them fines is still persecuting.

Which have it legal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bosnia, Kazakhstan and Turkey are a few examples of where it's legal.

I think what they mean by fines is when doing it in public which is I think would be the same case in secular countries too.
Original post by Thutmose-III
Have you ever seen a more pathetic sight? The Islamists have their boot on gay people's neck, and these fools are thanking them for it and bowing before them. Rarely do you see someone abase themselves so completely. and advocate so entirely for their own enslavement

How is it pathetic. Why can somebody not fight for the end of lgbt discrimination whilst also Fighting to end the discrimination of Muslims.

That's not saying there aren't problems within the Muslim community or Islam, that's not to say none of those problems effect lgbt members.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending