The Student Room Group

AQA English Language Module 5 - Language Change and Variation

Anyone else sit this paper this afternoon? How did you find it?

I thought it was a brilliant paper. I went into it with all the theories and terminology stuck in my head, and it just leapt out at me.

Didn't like the first question a great deal, but that's because I hate analysis. But even so, I thought it was okay. Lots to talk about, including how text A was before Samuel Johnson's dictionary and so unstandardised spelling was rife. I was really proud that I'd included that, because in the past, when I didn't care and didn't revise, I didn't include stuff like that.

I then chose question three, and focused on technology and the new words and terms it has introduced, as well as Aitchison and Bainbridge's opposing attitudes to language change, and then how Labov's Martha's Vineyard study and Jenny Cheshire's research showed language formed identity and solidarity.

I reckon I could get a B for it, but fear I might be reduced to a C for not getting to the point of the third question clearly enough. But I can't see it being anything less than a high C.
Reply 1
yeah i put about all the dictionary stuff, overall i did think tht the texts had no structure as in no real topics, thts wot im worried about tht i didnt either spot them or they werent there. i done ques 2 isnt the martha study out of the british isles ??
The Martha's Vineyard study is American, but you can reference it. I only mentioned that it supports Jenny Cheshire's 'Noddy' research which showed non-standard forms give people identity and solidarity. I didn't take ages going into it.
Reply 3
I thought it was a rather nice paper to be honest.

I mean Question 1 was a bit horrible in the fact that it was 2 texts. But i think because it was so clear who the audience and purpose of the text was as it was cook books, made it easy to analyse. You could just constantly keep linking it back to the fact it's meant to be easy and clear to understand and that this feature makes it effective blah blah.

I did question 2 and i was so pleased as i'd planned an essay answer and because there wasn't really anything you had to change as it was just about why people change use non-standard varieties in English in Britain. I was glad it was a simple one!!

Latest