The Student Room Group

Engineering course question regarding "joint degrees"

Hello,

I'd just like to ask how are "joint degrees" generally perceived by employers and peers?

By Joint, I mean having a Mechanical and Automotive degree as opposed to just Mechanical? I would like to apply to the former because I have always liked automobiles and the would really like to join that industry after hopefully graduating, but I've heard that other Engineering employers (non-automotive) would look negatively on such a degree.

I only ask because if I changed my mind slightly I'd just like to know if I'd really be putting myself in a negative light by having a joint degree.

If it helps, the second year where I have researched generally have only one module different (when Mech and Mech/Auto are compared) and even third year is relatively similar)

Thanks a lot.
Reply 1
Original post by Mr Makaveli
Hello,

I'd just like to ask how are "joint degrees" generally perceived by employers and peers?

By Joint, I mean having a Mechanical and Automotive degree as opposed to just Mechanical?

I've moved your thread to the Engineering forum :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Makaveli
but I've heard that other Engineering employers (non-automotive) would look negatively on such a degree..

Who told you that? I haven't seen any evidence of that being the case.
If that was the case the aerospace and biomedical graduates would be royally screwed.

If you're that worried about it you can probably just ask to be awarded the MechEng degree rather than MechEng w/ automotive seeing as the difference is so small.
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
I've moved your thread to the Engineering forum :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers for that :smile:

Original post by Smack
Who told you that? I haven't seen any evidence of that being the case.

Original post by Helloworld_95
If that was the case the aerospace and biomedical graduates would be royally screwed.

If you're that worried about it you can probably just ask to be awarded the MechEng degree rather than MechEng w/ automotive seeing as the difference is so small.

Thanks a lot for your replies guys and to be honest It does make sense what you're saying,It's just I've heard a lot of things from upper years and other interested Mechanical students, but I should've guessed since they are all Mechanical prospects they would say that.

Anyway, I have decided to carry on and follow the Mech/Auto route so thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest