The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A B
its funny that isis took responsibiliy for the attack u dummy!

i know my son owns a scrapyard with lots of mannequins but compared to you, they look like hillary clinton without her makeup on.

Sad!
:fatcontroller:
Perhaps he should focus more effort on making sure people who are being investigated by the FBI can't buy assault weapons in the country.
Original post by HAnwar
Of course not, how's that even a question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some Muslim countries do it so why can't America?
Reply 23
Original post by BaconandSauce
Some Muslim countries do it so why can't America?

Because America is better than every single muslim country and Americans aren't hateful or intolerant.
Reply 24
Original post by Newsout
No the extremist minority isn't tiny.

Why is it that mostly muslims result to terrorism when they feel marginalised? Why aren't as many cases of radical Christianity, or radical judaism or hinduism? why can't muslims just suppress their anger when the world is against them, why cause terror?

Proof of the first claim?

And because Christians, Jews and Hindus aren't nearly as marginalised as Muslims are in the West. In instances where those groups ARE marginalised, they DO become a radical force. Catholicism in communist Poland, 1st Century Zealotism, there are even examples of Buddhist extremism in the last few decades.
Original post by JoePFR
Christians also used to believe in some pretty damn oppressive things. Islam is most prevalent in lesser developed countries. When the West was at that stage of development we too held similar beliefs. Liberal Islam is rapidly growing as globalisation and economic development changes political views.

no - polls in the UK at least show that the newer generation of muslims are actually *more* radical than their parents' generation.

Besides, why does it make sense to ban them from a country for what they believe? I personally disagree with those strongly conservative viewpoints very much, but imposing restrictions on those who have those beliefs is impractical and unethical. It would literally be creating thought crime.

national security being improved, maybe? if you want to have an immigration policy that is in line with your foreign policy, why doesn't it make sense? what defines US (and UK) foreign policy = counter/anti-terrorism. terrorists are always muslims (basically). yes, the minority of muslims are radical in the sense that they believe in political jihadi islam, the majority are at least more sympathetic to those terrorists than other groups of people and believe more so in incompatible values of the west (homophobia, misogyny, huge intolerance towards dissidents of the religion, and anti-semitism) so in general why would you want to import muslims here whom will cultivate those values in their new country? integration is a fantasy. multiculturalism doesn't work - these kinds of groups don't assimilate.
Reply 26
Original post by PrincessBO$$
People are saying Islam is a bad religion. But in reality, not all Muslims are bad. Islam is not the problem. The problem is that some conservative and traditionalist muslims foolishly believe groups like ISIS. True Islam is supposed to be progressive, to encourage thinking. In the Quran, it evens asks to be questioned. In Islam, the worst person is not the evildoer, it is the person who blindly follows the evildoer. Thinking for yourself is important, which unfortunately not many of them do. If you want to stop terrorism, banning muslims won't help. It will just make them hate us even more. The root cause of terrorism is hate and ignorance, and to fight them we need peace and education.

This kinda makes sense.
@BaconandSauce Spelling on point

*Afghan
Original post by Newsout
Because America is better than every single muslim country and Americans aren't hateful or intolerant.

Then why allow those who come from hateful or intolerant countries (and allow them to continue as they were back home as is the case here)

But this is the 'muslim' cake and eat it argument

you can't be intolerant towards us (as you are better than that) but we can be intolerant towards you

For them it's a win win.
Reply 29
Original post by JoePFR
Proof of the first claim?

And because Christians, Jews and Hindus aren't nearly as marginalised as Muslims are in the West. In instances where those groups ARE marginalised, they DO become a radical force. Catholicism in communist Poland, 1st Century Zealotism, there are even examples of Buddhist extremism in the last few decades.

We are talking about Modern day Christianity, Judaism and Hinduism.

The vast amount of terrorist acts are committed by Muslims due to the fact that a lot of them just can't integrate into western culture.

Right now even the radical christie groups like the westboro baptist church and the KKK don't Go on shooting sprees or kill people as much as islamic terrorists do.
Reply 30
Original post by BaconandSauce
Then why allow those who come from hateful or intolerant countries (and allow them to continue as they were back home as is the case here)

But this is the 'muslim' cake and eat it argument

you can't be intolerant towards us (as you are better than that) but we can be intolerant towards you

For them it's a win win.

It's part of the reason why they migrate here, because they accept that they come from despotic sh*tholes and want a better life for themselves.

I am a vocal critic of Islam but a ban of islamic immigration due to the acts of a few terrorists isn't going to solve anything.

What if they is a resurgence of terrorists acts in the US just because of this law by radical US citizens, what happens then?

The media would completely blame trump for that
Reply 31
Original post by sleepysnooze
no - polls in the UK at least show that the newer generation of muslims are actually *more* radical than their parents' generation.

national security being improved, maybe? if you want to have an immigration policy that is in line with your foreign policy, why doesn't it make sense? what defines US (and UK) foreign policy = counter/anti-terrorism. terrorists are always muslims (basically). yes, the minority of muslims are radical in the sense that they believe in political jihadi islam, the majority are at least more sympathetic to those terrorists than other groups of people and believe more so in incompatible values of the west (homophobia, misogyny, huge intolerance towards dissidents of the religion, and anti-semitism) so in general why would you want to import muslims here whom will cultivate those values in their new country? integration is a fantasy. multiculturalism doesn't work - these kinds of groups don't assimilate.

Well with increasing pressures of radical groups and people like you who like to demonise Islam, are you surprised more and more are becoming more sympathetic to the ideology that, to them, appears to support their struggle?

It's not that I WANT to import any group of people. It's that religious discrimination is disgusting, and people should be free to express whatever religion they want as long as it doesn't harm others. Which it doesn't, in the case of most Muslims. Look at ANY sociological study on the topic: if you increase tolerance towards marginalised groups, radical viewpoints decline and liberal forms of that ideology which are more world affirming prevail. By rejecting Muslims you're only fuelling the growth of radical groups.
My son worked at a Dunkin Donuts but then he was fired.

Sad!

Bad!

Mad!

Rad!
Original post by Lord Gaben
You can't ban people on the basis of their religion. It's unconstitutional.

He can change/amend constitution?

I luv you too donald

:love::love::love::love::love:
Reply 35
Original post by Newsout
We are talking about Modern day Christianity, Judaism and Hinduism.

The vast amount of terrorist acts are committed by Muslims due to the fact that a lot of them just can't integrate into western culture.

Right now even the radical christie groups like the westboro baptist church and the KKK don't Go on shooting sprees or kill people as much as islamic terrorists do.

So you're comparing modern Western religions to non-Western religions thriving mainly in countries that are far, far behind the West developmentally. That comparison is reductionist and invalid.

Again, that's because Christianity is accepted in the West far more than Islam. Extremism is fuelled by wider intolerance, among other things, and Christianity is more tolerated than Islam.
Original post by JoePFR
Well with increasing pressures of radical groups and people like you who like to demonise Islam, are you surprised more and more are becoming more sympathetic to the ideology that, to them, appears to support their struggle?

that's like saying "putting criminals in prison is just going to make more people criminals" - why would it? and why would muslims support people who murder innocent people? "muslims" =/= "terrorist muslims" (but muslims are usually homophobes, misogynists, generally bigoted towards groups like jews, etc)

It's not that I WANT to import any group of people. It's that religious discrimination is disgusting, and people should be free to express whatever religion they want as long as it doesn't harm others. Which it doesn't, in the case of most Muslims. Look at ANY sociological study on the topic: if you increase tolerance towards marginalised groups, radical viewpoints decline and liberal forms of that ideology which are more world affirming prevail. By rejecting Muslims you're only fuelling the growth of radical groups.

religious discrimination is disgusting, hm? so if it was somebody's religion to kill people for petty crimes (i.e. islam) it's "disgusting" to discriminate against them? and I'm sorry but I'm not going to support a barbaric fascist ideology just for the sake of the adherents of that movement - they're going to have to earn it - I'm going to be threatened into it (like you're kind of suggesting I should be if your equation is "support means less death".
Original post by Lord Gaben
You can't ban people on the basis of their religion. It's unconstitutional.

Spoiler

Original post by Ollie231213
Except the terrorist was, oh yeah, a U.S.-born citizen.

If muslims born in the USA can do that, imagine what those from the Middle East are capable of...
Reply 39
Original post by JoePFR
So you're comparing modern Western religions to non-Western religions thriving mainly in countries that are far, far behind the West developmentally. That comparison is reductionist and invalid.

Like I do not even understand this comment, please rephrase it as in its current state makes no sense at all to me.

Original post by JoePFR

Again, that's because Christianity is accepted in the West far more than Islam. Extremism is fuelled by wider intolerance, among other things, and Christianity is more tolerated than Islam.

Yes and the reason why Christianity is fr more tolerated than Islam is because Christianity is a far more tolerant religion than Islam, its teachings in comparison to islams teachings are far apart, and followers of Christianity are normally more peaceful, tolerant and accepting then muslims, you might call that a harsh statement but that's the truth

Latest

Trending

Trending