The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Loan for LPC

I've just called up both UoL and BPP and they both confirmed that their i-LLM LPC and MA (Business with LPC) are not eligible for the new postgraduate loan.

The people from Student Finance stated in the postgraduate section that "If you apply for a LPC stand alone course then you will not be eligible to receive a Postgraduate Loan. But if you apply for the LLM with the LPC being part of it you will be eligible to apply. If you are registering for the LLM, you'll apply for a Postgraduate Loan for this course."

So is there actually a LLM with LPC course that is covered by the postgraduate loan? SFE is being rather vague about this, as the both courses previously mentioned are titled as Masters degree, yet they aren't eligible.
Original post by Jacklicy
I've just called up both UoL and BPP and they both confirmed that their i-LLM LPC and MA (Business with LPC) are not eligible for the new postgraduate loan.

The people from Student Finance stated in the postgraduate section that "If you apply for a LPC stand alone course then you will not be eligible to receive a Postgraduate Loan. But if you apply for the LLM with the LPC being part of it you will be eligible to apply. If you are registering for the LLM, you'll apply for a Postgraduate Loan for this course."

So is there actually a LLM with LPC course that is covered by the postgraduate loan? SFE is being rather vague about this, as the both courses previously mentioned are titled as Masters degree, yet they aren't eligible.

Hey!

I called BPP as well and they said the MA LPC with Business isn't eligible or either of the other courses but when I called Student Finance they said the LLM Professional Legal Practice and the MA are eligible so I'm also confused. Hope the people from SFE can clarify.
Reply 2
Original post by niyagradeva
Hey!

I called BPP as well and they said the MA LPC with Business isn't eligible or either of the other courses but when I called Student Finance they said the LLM Professional Legal Practice and the MA are eligible so I'm also confused. Hope the people from SFE can clarify.

Wow this is rather confusing. I read somewhere that it is up to the universities to verify that their course is eligible for the postgraduate loan, but if I recall correctly it wasn’t posted by an offcial from student finance. I also asked City University about their LPC (says on their website it is taught at LLM level and can be registered as an LLM for free if you complete a dissertation), and they've told me that the course is not eligible.

Could you let me know if you find any further info about the postgraduate loans for LPC? I would do the same too if I find something new on this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey!

I called Student Finance again to find out more information and clarification. The LPC even as part of an LLM or MA will not be covered. With BPP, even if you have applied for MA LPC with Business, you are admitted to the straight LPC and only after you finish the LPC you register for that part that will convert the Postgraduate Diploma into a Masters. Because of that subsequent registration (and not from the beginning of the course), the courses in BPP will not be covered by the new loans. It really depends on the university and how the MA and LLM are structured. For BPP, this is a final decision. From BPP, the guys told me to look at Future Finance, Career Development Loan from Barclays and Co-op.

Hope this helps you. Good luck with the LPC. I will definitely post here if I hear something different or alternative ways of financing.
Reply 4
I've heard that UOL have now restructured their course and have emailed round saying that you can now apply for student finance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending