The Student Room Group

Applying to University?

I am considering to take a gap year, how would i apply to university? (UK and US) Would i apply during my gap year and enter at the end of it? Or will i apply before my gap year and enter at the end of it?
So for example if 2016 was my gap year i would apply january 2016 and enter october 2016 right? if i applied during my gap year?
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
So for example if 2016 was my gap year i would apply january 2016 and enter october 2016 right? if i applied during my gap year?

If you took a gap year from Autumn 2015-Summer 2016 and wanted to start university in Autumn 2016 then you would have applied by January 2015 for deferred entry (with your place confirmed in August 2015).

Applying during your gap year is more difficult - your university application needs an academic reference which is easier to get while you're still at school/college, and if you need to attend interviews then it's better if you're available and in the country, you also need to reply to offers by any deadlines which can be difficult if your gap year doesn't have reliable internet access.
Original post by PQ
If you took a gap year from Autumn 2015-Summer 2016 and wanted to start university in Autumn 2016 then you would have applied by January 2015 for deferred entry (with your place confirmed in August 2015).

Applying during your gap year is more difficult - your university application needs an academic reference which is easier to get while you're still at school/college, and if you need to attend interviews then it's better if you're available and in the country, you also need to reply to offers by any deadlines which can be difficult if your gap year doesn't have reliable internet access.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending