Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What banks allow overdraft before first payment?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I'm starting uni this September but my student finance only comes in on the 18th of October but I move in on the 18th September. My accomadation are cool with it but I won't have any money to live off and have no one to ask to borrow money. Does anyone know if/what banks do student accounts that will allow me to go in the overdraft before putting any money in?

    The banks will let you open an accoount once you have confirmation of yout place. You will be fine. You might want to look at carying size of overdraft in the first year.

    As far as I'm aware pretty much all the banks allow you to get an overdraft before your first payment comes through from SF so long as you have UCAS proof of course confirmation. I'm with Lloyds and I got my overdraft immediately after walking out the bank with my confirmation letter some time in June a few years ago.

    As far as I'm aware, you can set them up and get them as soon as you set your bank account up. I remember doing that with Lloyds years ago.

    HSBC let me withdraw £400 of my 500 overdraft the day I opened it.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.