The Student Room Group

What A levels to carry on for computer science for university? ?

Hey all ,
the subjects Im doing are : Maths , computer science , physics and design and technology.
and i have suddenly realized that im pretty screwed with physics and dont think that i will be able to get a good enough grade to get into uni . i chose to drop design and technology and carry on the other three as dont really enjoy it but im good at it. wich would mean i have to carry on with physics , maths and copmuter science for the full A level .

but the question is should i choose to carry on design and tech for the full a level and then drop physics and not get any qualification in it , and only have A levels in Maths , Design and tech and computer science ? my only worry with this is that university might not accept design and tech for computer science course. but if i did this i think i could get these grades : A in computer science, B/A in design and tech , B in Maths.
2) carry on with physics , maths and computer science and risk not getting a good enough grade ? and have to redo a year or something along those lines.
3) carry on all 4 and see how it goes ? and risk getting all lower grades.

sorry if i dint make much sense would be happy with any advice / help .

thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Have you thought about which universities you would like to apply to? :smile:
@computationchive yeah but I can really decide any further until I know what to choose . As I could get into better unis with choosing design and technology but not with physics .
Reply 3
I would recommend doing Further Maths to AS and not do design at all. Even better if you do Further maths to A2. It has useful modules (i have been told) and is more relevant than DT at uni level.
depends on which universities you would like to go to - some universities (the 'top' ones, e.g. oxbridge and imperial) would even require further maths and maths as a minimum and wouldn't even bother looking at your application if you hadn't done father maths I'm afraid. but that is only a very very veeeeery few select universities here, and there are plenty of other ones.

when applying for computer science, i noticed on average that they all definitely require maths, highly prefer (but not necessarily need) further maths, and would like a science (e.g. physics/chem/bio/compsci) as the third subject. However I would take this with a grain of salt and say that with maths and computer science as your two subjects they couldn't care less what your third subject is. so go with the subject you enjoy the most (D&T I'm guessing?) and try to aim for top top grades in the maths & compsci ( & DT!) and it'll work out for the best.

hope that makes sense.
also, having said all this - quite a few universities might increase you maths offer (e.g. if they normally require an A, they might up it to an A*) if you haven't done further maths, just because they want to make sure that you have a solid maths foundation.

if i were you, i'd do further maths AS during your A2 year, as it would probably make a bit of a difference to your application
@gemdarkstone thanks for the responce. i think further maths is not an option as i struggle in core maths. But i thinki could get AAB/ABB with compter science , dt , maths . Im not going for the top top univercitys. Any advice ? Cheers
AAB/ABB are fantastic grades and will definitely get you into some of the best uni's here, so i say go for DT. however if you are applying to AAB/ABB uni's then they will most certainly as for an A in maths, and then a combination of AB/BB in the other two subjects - is that achievable for you? otherwise you might want to look at some BBB or less uni's just in case, as back up options (just because of the B in maths :/) - if possible, really do aim for the A in maths as it would open up a lot more options for universities
@gemdarkstone I think it could be possible to get an A in maths if i work hard , my other worry would be not having an AS level ? Are they important ?thanks
Original post by chubchublolly
@gemdarkstone I think it could be possible to get an A in maths if i work hard , my other worry would be not having an AS level ? Are they important ?thanks

i'm not on this new course i'm afraid so I'm not sure how the AS's work. you'd have to ask the uni's your applying to and your school careers counsellor I'm afraid!
Personally I'd just keep Maths, Computer Science and DT if you're struggling with Physics. If you're aiming for AAB/ABB then quite frankly I don't see why you'd struggle to get into any universities with those requirements as long as you try to get the A in maths :smile: It's better to do DT and get overall higher grades, instead of taking Physics and getting lower grades overall as that would hurt your application.
Reply 11
err perhaps because it is a highly recommended subject? We want OP to get into a top uni and further maths is useful and more beneficial than something like DT.
Reply 12
It can be done. However what many did recommend is take it to AS which could make it easier to get an offer.
hey all , thanks for the responses i dont think that they allow for me to do further maths as i only got a A at GCSE and needed A* with very high marks . We just did our physics mocks today and its not looking good at all . Im not planning on going to the top universities . but if i did : Maths , Computer science and DT what offers should i expect if any ? i think i could get AAA / AAB and ill have to work hard but i think this is very possible ?

thanks for all advice so far
thanks
Thanks for all the replies , i think that most of you think i should drop physics and do DT , im going to a meeting with my year 12 leader to get there opinion as well . But just want to ask is it a disadvantage to not taking physics is it seen as a bad subject DT and what offers should i expect ? sorry for repetition its just a big decision
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending