The Student Room Group

Foundation Year at Uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eternalflames
It was £6000 in tuition fees for my foundation year, and when I phoned up student finance they said I would get funding for the entire length of my actual degree plus one extra year.
I think a reason people choose foundation years over A-Level resits is to get used to University life.

what type of funding like free or you pay less?
Reply 21
Original post by Numero Uno

Student loans. So the slc pay the tuition fees and you pay back when you're earning. You'll also get a maintainance loan to use on food and accommodation, again to be paid back later.
Reply 22

It may be covered by your normal student loan. But check the specifics for your course. As has been noted above, this is much easier if the Foundation is integrated into a full degree course.
Original post by jneill
It may be covered by your normal student loan. But check the specifics for your course. As has been noted above, this is much easier if the Foundation is integrated into a full degree course.

The degree is kind of integrated you have an option of doing other computer courses once you do the foundation so its flexible.
Reply 24
The degree is kind of integrated you have an option of doing other computer courses once you do the foundation so its flexible.

You will need to check with your university to confirm if it qualifies for SFE, without affecting your "gift year".
Original post by jneill
You will need to check with your university to confirm if it qualifies for SFE, without affecting your "gift year".

Sorry what is a gift year??

The gift year is one extra year of funding given by student finance for your degree in case you need to retake a year or other such circumstances.
The gift year is one extra year of funding given by student finance for your degree in case you need to retake a year or other such circumstances.

ah alright thank you:smile:
Reply 28

As EF said

And so you don't want the Foundation to use it up if possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would expect as the foundation year is combined in your course then it doesnt use up the gift year. Some foundations are stand alone.
Just type in the course you'd like to do in the UCAS course search but put 'including foundation year' with it, they should come up then. And yes, I applied for my foundation year through clearing just phone up and apply as you would for any other course through clearing.
Feel free to ask me if you have any questions regarding the process, best of luck with your application :smile:
Original post by jneill
As EF said

And so you don't want the Foundation to use it up if possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it is entitled 'BSc computing with foundation year' and you are saying some foundations you can use this gift year as you are effectively doing an extra year to get to uni. Would the course above be open to the gift year or could you direct me to a webpage that could help me find this information?
Reply 32
So it is entitled 'BSc computing with foundation year' and you are saying some foundations you can use this gift year as you are effectively doing an extra year to get to uni. Would the course above be open to the gift year or could you direct me to a webpage that could help me find this information?

No no. That's an integrated course. You don't need to use up your gift year just apply for the normal student loan.

It's all good :smile:
Original post by jneill
No no. That's an integrated course. You don't need to use up your gift year just apply for the normal student loan.

It's all good :smile:

okay thanks for all the help :smile:
Reply 34
okay thanks for all the help :smile:

No problem. And good luck :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
I just think they suit certain types of people and certain situations.

How much does a foundation year cost? is it the same as a normal year of uni ? i.e £9,000 plus maybe £6,000-£8,000 in living costs. Plus you use up your spare years funding.

Price of A level resits? less than £300?

Youd have to look at what the state of your studies are and whether resits were viable from an academic perspective. If you dont mind the debt then go ahead, but make good use of soemthing you are taking on extra debt for.

At least for my year, I don't think it's possible to resit A levels again as their is a new spec being taught this year, so I think a foundation year would be a good idea if one does wish to go to university.
Original post by Dinasaurus
At least for my year, I don't think it's possible to resit A levels again as their is a new spec being taught this year, so I think a foundation year would be a good idea if one does wish to go to university.

Anyone who is doing legacy spec will get the opportunity to resit in 2017.

Anyone who is doing new spec will get the opportunity to resit.
Reply 37
Yes, the entire degree length (including foundation year) is included and I didn't use up the gift year :smile:

EDIT: For anyone who comes across this thread, the foundation year does use up the additional 'gift' year. Student finance later told me this

What's the "gift year"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending