Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

The next two World Cup locations

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

After the issues that have reared their ugly head in both Russia & Qatar I find it even more ridiculous that these two countries are hosting the 2018 & 2022 World Cups respectively.

Russian fans at Euro 2016 -
    It seems like a significant portion of them of come to cause trouble rather than to watch the football.

(I know some of the England fans in France are little better than chavs but the majority aren't. & even the dark days of English hooliganism wasn't anything like this)

I don't see this this being any better in Russia especially with East-West tensions running fairly high. I understand the BBC can be somewhat biased but after watching Reggie Yates' Russia program I was somewhat shocked at the level of violence, racism & homophobia.

Qatar -
    A Dutch woman who was raped gets punished as well as rapist. Ermmm what? Who on earth thinks a law like this is a good idea?

I'm sure many fans, who actually bother to make the trip anyway, will be caught out but severity of Qatar's alcohol, intimacy & general attire laws from all countries. I suppose you could argue the heavy restrictions on alcohol might reduce some violence but that's generally a very very small majority - a lot of fans who have no desire to cause trouble will be caught out too.

I'm not saying Qatar should necessarily change their laws for us; it's their country afterall. But nor do I think a country with such harsh restrictions be allowed to host the FIFA World Cup.

What are your views on this?

(I'm not fan of Islam or any religion for that matter but I think there's enough anti-Islam threads at the moment so if that could be avoided it'd be appreciated. I spent time in Bahrain & that by Middle Eastern standards is liberal - plenty of Muslims enjoy a drink too & homosexuality, though illegal, wasn't actually uncommon there. Qatar seems like it's on a whole other level in comparison)

Neither should have been allowed to stand, especially after the turmoil at FIFA.

(Original post by Drewski)
    Neither should have been allowed to stand, especially after the turmoil at FIFA.

Agreed. Those votes weren't exactly done fairly.

Been done to death this tbh. Both a farce but I cannot think of a single good reason for a World Cup to go to Qatar.

It's wrong on every level. Forced labour, dates, stadiums, host cities etc. Staggering.

Both are about as corrupt as FIFA...
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.