The Student Room Group

Maths year 11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by z_o_e
Yeah I moved on ill ask my teacher.

How's this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct, though you could just rewrite it as 120000.9312000 \cdot 0.9^3 if you can spot what is really happening here.
Reply 1641
Original post by RDKGames
Correct, though you could just rewrite it as 120000.9312000 \cdot 0.9^3 if you can spot what is really happening here.

Thank you!

I just did this. Looks incorrect as it says how many years will her cat be worth £6000 and I did not get that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Thank you!

I just did this. Looks incorrect as it says how many years will her cat be worth £6000 and I did not get that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it would be worth £6000 after 6 full years. You can work out the exact amount of years but I don't think you can do that at GCSE.
Reply 1643
So it would be worth £6000 after 6 full years. You can work out the exact amount of years but I don't think you can do that at GCSE.

I'm not sure whether it's 6 or 7 years.

6 years is more than £6000

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
I'm not sure whether it's 6 or 7 years.

6 years is more than £6000

Posted from TSR Mobile

These questions never make anything clear. Technically speaking, it hits £6000 during it's 7th year so it does NOT fully complete the 7 years which is why I'm saying 6.
Reply 1645
These questions never make anything clear. Technically speaking, it hits £6000 during it's 7th year so it does NOT fully complete the 7 years which is why I'm saying 6.

How do I work this out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1646

Heyaa can you help me on the one above please xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Heyaa can you help me on the one above please xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

m is the gradient and c is the y-intercept so you can figure this from looking at the graph. For the gradient, just pick 2 different coordinates on the line and find the slope as usual.
Reply 1648
m is the gradient and c is the y-intercept so you can figure this from looking at the graph. For the gradient, just pick 2 different coordinates on the line and find the slope as usual.

Is this correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Is this correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looks correct, yes, though it's hard to determine the gradient from a graph like that without any annotation.
Reply 1650
Looks correct, yes, though it's hard to determine the gradient from a graph like that without any annotation.

Thank you. I find it hard doing it on plain paper lined paper is easier.

This question need explanation please :frown: so sorry for being annoying but I need to understand practise papers so I can do them alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1651

its wrong
power of -4 doesnot mean that you have to multiply it with -4
its mean multiply value by how many times
in this question
2p^-4 = 1/2p^4 =1/2p*2p*2p*2p =1/16p4

hope it make sense
Original post by z_o_e
Thank you. I find it hard doing it on plain paper lined paper is easier.

This question need explanation please :frown: so sorry for being annoying but I need to understand practise papers so I can do them alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay so for part A you should consider all the possible combinations from the spinner and the die in order to get a 3. This is a very simple example and I'm sure you can agree that the only way to get a 3 is from getting a 1 and a 2.

So work out the probability that Sally gets a 1 on the spinner, and a 2 on the die, then multiply these probabilities together. You multiply, and NOT add, because this is conditional probability. She will get a 3 on a CONDITION that she get's a 1 followed by a 2 on the respective items.

For part B it's essentially the same thing. List what scores Sally can get that are less than 5 and see how they can be achieved from the two items.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1653
Okay so for part A you should consider all the possible combinations from the spinner and the die in order to get a 3. This is a very simple example and I'm sure you can agree that the only way to get a 3 is from getting a 1 and a 2.

So work out the probability that Sally gets a 1 on the spinner, and a 2 on the die, then multiply these probabilities together. You multiply, and NOT add, because this is conditional probability. She will get a 3 on a CONDITION that she get's a 1 followed by a 2 on the respective items.

For part B it's essentially the same thing. List what scores Sally can get that are less than 5 and see how they can be achieved from the two items.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1654

Is that correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not quite for part B. First list all the possible combinations that will give the score of less than 5. There combinations are:

{1,1}
{1,2}
{1,3}

find probabilities for each and add them up
Reply 1656
Not quite for part B. First list all the possible combinations that will give the score of less than 5. There combinations are:

{1,1}
{1,2}
{1,3}

find probabilities for each and add them up

1/4 + 1/6?

Do I do that 3 times?

Or 1/4 + 3/6

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
1/4 + 1/6?

Do I do that 3 times?

Posted from TSR Mobile