The Student Room Group
Original post by i360faceplant
Do many Unis in England would allow chinchillas? Im looking into getting one, and they live up to 25 years (so i will have it when i apply for uni) so do you guys know universities that would allow one?

Halls don't allow pets for the most part should I wouldn't get a chinchilla.
Original post by i360faceplant
Do many Unis in England would allow chinchillas? Im looking into getting one, and they live up to 25 years (so i will have it when i apply for uni) so do you guys know universities that would allow one?

no halls I know allow pets, and most rented accommodation will not either. best idea is save this idea for after uni when your more settled.
Don't get a chinchilla until after university. It's just so not fair on the animal and not at all responsible

I don't know of any university halls and accommodations that allow animals, and every house share I have been in the contracts have all specifically stated no pets allowed.

You don't know if your flatmates will be okay with it or not or if they're allergic, so irresponsible and selfish to bring one regardless.

Chinchillas get easily stressed, a student halls/ accommodation is not a suitable place for it. They're loud, busy and full of people having parties. This WILL stress the animal out.

You'll be moving several times over the next few ears with uni, it's not fair to put an animal through this.

Wait til after uni.
I agree no university halls allow pets for many different reasons and very few student lets allow pets for different reasons (one exception seems to be fish in house shares) .

But yeah you'll just stress the animal and it'll die in a few years instead of the expected 25. wait until after uni.
Halls don't let you have pets mainly but there's nothing stopping you risking sneaking one in (although I wouldn't advise it)
I had a Burmese Tiger in halls (kept it under me bed) :pierre:
I can only reiterate what everyone else has said. No halls and most rented accommodation will not allow pets. Not to mention you will likely be sharing any rented accommodation with 2-7 people, and finding that number of people who fancy living with your chinchilla would be difficult even if you could get the landlord's blessing.

It's all around just a terrible idea, sorry.
Don't do it. Aside from the fact no student halls or let will allow it it's not fair on flatmates who might have to listen to it running around at night or could be allergic, it's going to be expensive to provide proper care/vet treatment/food, halls are really noisy and chaotic so not the ideal place for an animal and tbh anyone who gets a long term pet when they know their life is going to change a lot in the near future is very irresponsible, it's not fair to get an animal knowing you're going to be repeatedly moving and stressing it out.
Don't get a pet, it isn't fair on the animal. Unfortunately, not all people you live with will like animals and you don't know what they'll do when you're not around. A friend of mine had a guinea pig in her shared home, went home for a family funeral and while she was away (2 days) her housemates gave her guinea pig away because they didn't want to look after it.
is it bad that i thought you meant the coat?
Chinchillas need space for living and care. I think it is a bad idea to get a pet when you live in student halls or even in a rented apartment. They are wild and they need space for moving. No matter what big cage you have - chinchilla still needs to be let out for a walk around the house every day. And it must be treated in a special way. To tell the truth, firstly better to know what plants do chinchillas eat in the wild and food you must give him. Honestly, it is like a small child.
(edited 3 years ago)
Uni halls are strict on it and it's not really the right place for a pet anyway. If you're talking private rented accommodation you should probably be able to find somewhere which will accept chinchillas, as they're very clean, and is also suitable for a chinchilla to live in. This might require making some compromises though e.g. paying more for rent/deposit and living in a less studenty area.
Original post by Pro11pse
Chinchillas need space for living and care. I think it is a bad idea to get a pet when you live in student halls or even in a rented apartment

Original post by Helloworld_95
Uni halls are strict on it and it's not really the right place for a pet anyway. If you're talking private rented accommodation you should probably be able to find somewhere which will accept chinchillas, as they're very clean, and is also suitable for a chinchilla to live in. This might require making some compromises though e.g. paying more for rent/deposit and living in a less studenty area.

This thread is 4 years old. OP probably graduated by now and have a living room full of chinchillas lol
Original post by Guru Jason
This thread is 4 years old. OP probably graduated by now and have a living room full of chinchillas lol

we have 2 chinchillas and they gave birth to 5 babies this winter. They really occupy the whole house when we let them out for a walk...
Reply 15
Original post by Pro11pse
Chinchillas need space for living and care. I think it is a bad idea to get a pet when you live in student halls or even in a rented apartment. They are wild and they need space for moving. No matter what big cage you have - chinchilla still needs to be let out for a walk around the house every day. And it must be treated in a special way. To tell the truth, firstly better to know what plants do chinchillas eat in the wild and food you must give him. Honestly, it is like a small child.

Thanks for sharing
yo i got bare emails from this, I got 3 degus rn and they're vibing just fine, i made it work lmao they are living lavish

Latest