Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Compulsory consent classes for guys at York uni from next year.

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

(Original post by Josb)
    Don't you think that these classes would be more appropriate in high school?

It's a bit dumb to wait for them to turn 18yo to explain these things whereas the sexual majority is at 16...
    I 100% agree that these classes should be taught from as early as primary school. Obviously without the sex bits.

However the government has already refused to do this, therefore the universities have ultimately taken it upon themselves. It's better than nothing.

There's no mention of gender in the article but it's still kind of dumb. If anybody thinks none-consensual sex is in any way acceptable then how they got into uni is absolutely beyond me....

(Original post by Elivercury)
    Probably because the filling out a questionnaire and being assessed on it would require about as much time on the part of the student but significantly more time on the part of the university.
    Well I'd say filling out a questionnaire to gauge a students understanding of consent would take less than 20 minutes. As far as I'm concerned the amount of time it takes the uni is irrelevant, they're there to best serve the interest of their students.

There is also a sound argument for having those that do understand it there to guide and explain things to those that clearly don't get it.
    If the students who do understand it need to explain to others then clearly these stupid talks aren't being delivered very well. It's also unfair to say let's waste the time of the majority of students who understand consent so they can explain consent to the others because we can't teach them properly.

We can only speculate on the video content. To be honest, I'd be up for them just showing the BBC documentary to everyone, I personally thought it was very well made and enlightening. As you say, it didn't include any ridiculous notions about alcohol or whatever and it also presented the side of the unjustly accused, which you likely won't see often in a documentary on rape. It was of course a fair whack longer than 20 minutes.
    I'd agree it was well made, the only enlightenment I got from it was on the idiocy of some people, in my view it simply taught 'kids' things they should have known.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.