The Student Room Group

My friends forgot my birthday

So today is my birthday and all my friends forgot. I had reminded them so many times that I thought I was getting annoying but honestly they didn't care. I got to school and they finally said happy birthday after I told them. They should've remembered. I felt so sad. This is exactly what happened last year. They didn't even try to make up for it. I have the exact same birthday as another girl and it hurt to see her friends showering her with gifts and making her feel special. I have a large group of friends of 12 but I really am close to 6 of them and for their birthdays I got them gifts and made them feel great. But no one even remembered mine. This one girl called Julie said she knew it was my birthday but because I got her a present 1 week later than her birthday (because I was poorly), that she is waiting till next week to give it to me so we can be even. I think that is so petty. Today was such a bad day and one of my closest friends came up to me and said "I'm so sorry we all forgot it was your birthday." I'm glad she apologised but she forgot my birthday last year AND the year before aswell. So I don't know whether to believe her. Even some teachers were asking me if I got anything from my friends and I had to say no. Usually people in my school have a big badge on the birthday and loads of bags of presents. I had nothing. Some people even laughed at the fact I didn't get anything. I want to cry but I know there's no point. I know I should be more grateful because my family made me feel great (although my dad isn't even around) but I still feel crap. I'm so nice to these people and they didn't care. This is the worst birthday ever and I just feel like isolating myself because of it. I don't even want friends anymore. I'm just adding everything up and I realised that they insult me at times and I dont notice it till now. Like pointing out my insecurities. Now that I'm realising this, I don't know if it's all a joke or I'm overthinking things. I dunno.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm sorry that's happened to you, your friends sound awful, it's not just you
Don't get them anything. I may be in a different situation because I'm male, but I never get my friends anything and they never get me anything, we just say happy birthday to each other on the day and it's all fine with us.
Reply 3
I know what they did to me was wrong but I just hate being vengeful. I want to keep being nice to them but I don't know where it'll get me, since they don't appreciate it.
It really sucks that your friends forgot about you, but don't let it change how you see yourself.
Think about the people who did make an effort, the teacher, your family, maybe the person who did wish you happy birthday you may not even class as a friend?

Some people out there do really care and we just shadow that sometimes over the people who we think care.
When you get older friendships change anyway, so don't think this is the end of the world and youll be alone forever. Make an effort with the people who showed they cared.

And also STOP buying them gifts, say happy birthday though. (two wrongs don't make a right, but not getting them a present will make you feel a bit better next time around :wink: )
Original post by xjj84
So today is my birthday and all my friends forgot. I had reminded them so many times that I thought I was getting annoying but honestly they didn't care. I got to school and they finally said happy birthday after I told them. They should've remembered. I felt so sad. This is exactly what happened last year. They didn't even try to make up for it. I have the exact same birthday as another girl and it hurt to see her friends showering her with gifts and making her feel special. I have a large group of friends of 12 but I really am close to 6 of them and for their birthdays I got them gifts and made them feel great. But no one even remembered mine. This one girl called Julie said she knew it was my birthday but because I got her a present 1 week later than her birthday (because I was poorly), that she is waiting till next week to give it to me so we can be even. I think that is so petty. Today was such a bad day and one of my closest friends came up to me and said "I'm so sorry we all forgot it was your birthday." I'm glad she apologised but she forgot my birthday last year AND the year before aswell. So I don't know whether to believe her. Even some teachers were asking me if I got anything from my friends and I had to say no. Usually people in my school have a big badge on the birthday and loads of bags of presents. I had nothing. Some people even laughed at the fact I didn't get anything. I want to cry but I know there's no point. I know I should be more grateful because my family made me feel great (although my dad isn't even around) but I still feel crap. I'm so nice to these people and they didn't care. This is the worst birthday ever and I just feel like isolating myself because of it. I don't even want friends anymore. I'm just adding everything up and I realised that they insult me at times and I dont notice it till now. Like pointing out my insecurities. Now that I'm realising this, I don't know if it's all a joke or I'm overthinking things. I dunno.

From now on treat them the way they treat you so dont get any of them a present on their birthdays from now on just pretend you have no money. If they get you a present late then do the same to them. And any insecurities they have point it out to them too.
I know that is petty but clearly being too nice to them doesnt work because they dont appreciate you for it.
Sometimes the only way to make people learn is to treat them exactly the same way they treat you.
Dont buy them anymore presents. They dont deserve it. My friend always forgets my birthday and doesnt even try to make up for it so i stopped even saying happy birthday to her just the way she treats me. I dont think thats petty because if no one cares when my birthday is then why should i care when its theirs.
Or you could always remind tnem 1 week before and then remind them again 2 days before your birthday then they cant pretend they forgot. Try that next year if they still dont get you a present then stop buying them presents too

At least your family care so thats more important

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending