The Student Room Group

Caring for my father and want to train as a nurse

I am currently 35 caring for my father who has advanced prostrate cancer. I have realised this feels like my calling and am considering training as a nurse this not a sector i have worked in before. Although i feel my qualities ( caring, kind, compassionate and i like helping others) is a carer in very passionate about the trouble is all the courses are full time i have been to a university openday i like what i see and feel so inspired by the talk they gave. i feel like im stuck.

I am sure i cant be the only one in this position. Are there any short courses or part time that would count towards skills , experiance that the uni might accept that i could do while caring.
Reply 1
Hi,

my reason for wanting to be a nurse is similar to yours

The only university that i can think of is the Open university, you would be able to study part time.
This is the website http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/find/nursing-and-healthcare-practice have a look some of the courses will take 4 years to compete part time.

Hope this helps

http://nursing.nhscareers.nhs.uk/skills/pre_registration/part_time_nursing
Reply 2
Nbailey thanks for reply, i have since been talking on Facebook with a nhs carreers advisor they also mentioned starting as a nhs healthcare assistant and doing a day realease type of access course then getting the trust to put you for training as a nurse. As you earn money as well as getting experience and training think i might look at this more and see if i can work part time along caring as i am sure lots of people end up in this position like yourself.
Reply 3
That sounds really good, I hope you are able to become a nurse that way it seems much better really, wish I had known about that option.

All the best on your journey,

Take Care
Hi there iv been a qualified nurse for three years I did the diploma at university. Looks like you found your route in good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile
As fa as I'm aware, to do the OU nursing course you need to be already working in a caring role such as a healthcare assistant ad have the support of your employer to do the course as they have to provide you with placements.

The suggestion of working as a HCA and doing access part time is a good one, as has already been said, some NHS trusts second HCAs to undertake their preregistration nursing, which is probably the most financially secure way to do the course tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending