The Student Room Group

Potential job offer & holiday

I could be potentially offered a job within the next few days - it is for a temporary full time post. At the interview I told them I was available to start immediately, which I was at the time, but now I am planning on booking a holiday for next week as I won't get a chance to go away at any other time. If they ring me today/tomorrow and give me the job and ask to start immediately, does it look really bad that I'm planning on going away next week?
Depends whether they need you urgently or not. If you really wnat to go on holiday and if they want you, then I suggest you sound them out about delaying your start. its an inconvenience if they take you on and then you strat booking immediate holidays. Wait to see if they offer you the job first.
Original post by 999tigger
Depends whether they need you urgently or not. If you really wnat to go on holiday and if they want you, then I suggest you sound them out about delaying your start. its an inconvenience if they take you on and then you strat booking immediate holidays. Wait to see if they offer you the job first.

They've offered me the job and want me to start in a week - I told them it should be ok but that I'd ring them if there were any problems with this. I am planning on going away from the 27th-1st, but I don't know if I should just be upfront with them about this or make an excuse...like I forgot at interview or.. :s-smilie:
Original post by peanutbuttercup
They've offered me the job and want me to start in a week - I told them it should be ok but that I'd ring them if there were any problems with this. I am planning on going away from the 27th-1st, but I don't know if I should just be upfront with them about this or make an excuse...like I forgot at interview or.. :s-smilie:

So you need to take the holiday or not?
Why did you tell them you thought it would be ok when you are telling us it will not?
Just be straight with them as in would it be ok if you could start a week later as some things have come up. I dont see why you have to make an excuse really or tell them any more. Its really having the confidence to say it, although it does make it inconsistent with what you told them previously.

You are going to have these situations in the future, when you need to be a little more assertive. Just tell them you are delighted to get the job and very much look forward to starting, but could you popssibly start a week later as some family issues have come up than you need to attend to. You will be fine all summer from then on.

They are either going to say yes, especially if you ask nicely.

Or they might say no, in which case you have to decide job or holiday.

Imo they will not wnat to do the interviews again, but they could ahve the details of another candidate, so you have to sound them out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending