The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

If I miss my offer...

Well my offer to study Chemical Engineering at Imperial is A*A*AA (A*s in Maths and Chemistry; As in Physics and Biology). If I miss my offer my not to big a margin, say I get A*AAA (because I think I might just miss out on Chemistry), what are my chances of getting in?
You'll probably be fine.

Incidentally, I find it odd they want an A* in Chemistry, but not physics, as physics is far more important. Chemistry isn't even a required module for many chemical engineering courses.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Elivercury
You'll probably be fine.

Incidentally, I find it odd they want an A* in Chemistry, but not physics, as physics is far more important. Chemistry isn't even a required module for many chemical engineering courses.

Thanks :smile:. But just for the sake of the peace of my mind, have you ever heard it happen before? i.e. Anybody miss their offer but still get accepted?
Original post by ssshah2
Thanks :smile:. But just for the sake of the peace of my mind, have you ever heard it happen before? i.e. Anybody miss their offer but still get accepted?

Plenty of people miss their offers all the time and still get accepted. Unfortunately how likely they are to do so is incredibly varied and depends on how many good applicants they have and how much they like you. It's a competition and whether they still have you will be down to how you fare against your peers.

Ultimately I wouldn't worry too much as there is nothing you can do about it. But personally I slipped a single grade and still got into my course.
Reply 4
Plenty of people miss their offers all the time and still get accepted. Unfortunately how likely they are to do so is incredibly varied and depends on how many good applicants they have and how much they like you. It's a competition and whether they still have you will be down to how you fare against your peers.

Ultimately I wouldn't worry too much as there is nothing you can do about it. But personally I slipped a single grade and still got into my course.

Thank you so much for your advice :smile:. I guess I'll just put my head down and do what I can with my remaining exams.
Original post by ssshah2
Thank you so much for your advice :smile:. I guess I'll just put my head down and do what I can with my remaining exams.

That's the best way forward, no point worrying about what hasn't happened. Best of luck with the exams and the degree. Also cross your fingers the oil price has recovered in 3-4 years :wink:
Reply 6
That's the best way forward, no point worrying about what hasn't happened. Best of luck with the exams and the degree. Also cross your fingers the oil price has recovered in 3-4 years :wink:

Lol I am looking more towards green energy/pharmaceuticals though.
Original post by ssshah2
Lol I am looking more towards green energy/pharmaceuticals though.

It still won't hurt you not having 1000's of unemployed experienced chemical engineers competing for jobs.

Also aero/elec/mechanical are probably more applicable for green energy (solar & wind). There are of course biomass and energy from waste options (among others) that chem eng would be viable for.

At any rate, good luck with the course.
Reply 8
It still won't hurt you not having 1000's of unemployed experienced chemical engineers competing for jobs.

True... :unsure:

Also aero/elec/mechanical are probably more applicable for green energy (solar & wind). There are of course biomass and energy from waste options (among others) that chem eng would be viable for.

At any rate, good luck with the course.

Btw what course are you studying?
Original post by ssshah2
True... :unsure:

Btw what course are you studying?

I graduated with my master in chemical engineering four years ago, joined the oil and gas industry and am now jumping ship before I am pushed :tongue:

Competition is ridiculous at the moment so I've decided to try my hand at being a physics teacher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending