The Student Room Group

How to nail an interview?

Hi all

I would say my CV is pretty decent. I'm recent graduate with a first class degree in a pretty sought after subject (business) from a reputable uni, I've had an internship with a global company which gave me quite a lot of desirable skills like data analysis and excel, I worked every summer through uni, I volunteered during term time and I was involved in sports. I'm pretty good at writing cover letters and applications, so I get a decent amount of invitations to interview, but this is where I fall down. I research the company beforehand, prepare typical interview answers and try my hardest to be enthusiastic and friendly, but then it comes to the day and I just don't do myself justice. I'm not very articulate so I often struggle to find the words I'm looking for, the information I've researched so thoroughly just falls right out my head and I tend to start sentences without having a clue where they're going and hope I figure it out along the way. In my whole interview experience I've only ever had 2 successful interviews. I wouldn't even say I'm that nervous before them so I don't think it's panic that makes me lose my head. I'm a confident public speaker so I can't figure out why I turn into a blubbering idiot in interviews. Anyone have any tips for how you improved your interview technique, or is it just a case of keeping on practicing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hermitthefrog
Hi all

I would say my CV is pretty decent. I'm recent graduate with a first class degree in a pretty sought after subject (business) from a reputable uni, I've had an internship with a global company which gave me quite a lot of desirable skills like data analysis and excel, I worked every summer through uni, I volunteered during term time and I was involved in sports. I'm pretty good at writing cover letters and applications, so I get a decent amount of invitations to interview, but this is where I fall down. I research the company beforehand, prepare typical interview answers and try my hardest to be enthusiastic and friendly, but then it comes to the day and I just don't do myself justice. I'm not very articulate so I often struggle to find the words I'm looking for, the information I've researched so thoroughly just falls right out my head and I tend to start sentences without having a clue where they're going and hope I figure it out along the way. In my whole interview experience I've only ever had 2 successful interviews. I wouldn't even say I'm that nervous before them so I don't think it's panic that makes me lose my head. I'm a confident public speaker so I can't figure out why I turn into a blubbering idiot in interviews. Anyone have any tips for how you improved your interview technique, or is it just a case of keeping on practicing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you practice (either with yourself or with a friend) before going into interviews?

I think doing well at interview falls squarely on rapport building. It's not an interrogation that you're being put through here, the people on the other side are just that: people. You want to make them feel compelled to speak to you, which might take form in asking them questions throughout the interview or even keeping healthy eye contact with them.

The folks on the other side of the table are trying to find a new workmate - sure, they have to be competent, but at the same time you need to ask yourself: 'Does the way I come across feel like I would gel with these interviewers in a normal work setting?'. Keep asking yourself that, and putting yourself in their shoes, think about what would make you feel confident about a potential new recruit then mirror that to the interview panel.

TL;DR, it comes down to: rapport building, confidence to steer the interview into a two way conversation and lastly, a continual mental 'sound check' to see if you're on the right tracks.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest