The Student Room Group

The finance sector is sexist!!!! Attention

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by J-SP
Just because there are less applications for a diversity internship programme (which would naturally happen if you are restricting who can apply), doesn't mean the people on the programme are any less qualified. The general quality of applications (and hires) may actually be stronger.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never said anything about the number of applicants? But since you've brought it up, I agree that fewer applicants doesn't mean they are less qualified.
If the 'quality of applications is stronger' then they don't need any help so why bother being gender specific?
Reply 21
Please read carefully, I am suggesting some females are not willing to pursue jobs in certain sectors as they feel they are disadvantaged and not treated equally. THE WOMAN HERSELF FEELS THAT, NOT ME! AND PLEASE READ AGAIN, I WROTE CERTAIN PORTIONS, NOT ALL FEMALES. It is just as simple as for example, when your girlfriend dumped you , you feel discouraged to pursue a new relationship and you feel sad (it may not be the reality as you might have done something that cause the break up,according to you), others have no rights to say the reason she dumped you is because you are weak/timid/coward/any other adjectives and hence you deserve to be dumped? I am saying we should respect everyone for how they feel towards jobs seeking, instead of labelling them as weak. I will never generalise people are weak when they are unemployed because they may be millionaires retiring at age of 30 and have no ways to spend their wealth!

PS: your assumptions are quite dramatic, and I did not mention any economic aspect of employing woman, please stop putting words in my arguments. And I said SOME females, CERTAIN PORTIONS, check oxford dictionary:
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/some_1?q=SOME
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/certain_1?
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/portion_1?q=PORTIONq=CERTAIN

Original post by banterboy
the argument can be refuted based on the word "feel". realz>feels

for example, you may "feeeeeeeeeeeeel" that women are paid less. This is in fact simply not true, research it. Women EARN less. Big difference. They work fewer hours and choose to go into lower paid positions because women consistently say they value things like "work-family balance" whereas men consistently base their career decisions on money. If you find one example of wage discrimination, please do report it to the police, since this has been a crime since the 60s. I would be highly surprised if even one company takes such a risk.

In fact, economically it is an impossible concept to even fathom. One company would hire mostly female workers at lower rates. They would get a market advantage. To stay competitive, everyone would have to hire female workers. But you say females are under presented. These two claims are inconsistent.

Yeah, if op doesn't apply to jobs he wants because women have it easier (they do. There is a two to one advantage for female employees STEM fields) he is being weak. Not as weak as someone needing a female only scheme when discrimination is just in their heads (women dont in fact need these schemes, they take advantage of them because they're there (why wouldn't you) but they dont need them to get into any sector) but still weak.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Quiton
(I assume that you have yet to come across with internships in your life?).You were making a hypothesis with A & B. If you want to verify which situation is deemed valid in this situation, please send JP Morgan,PwC.. a letter and get an answer from them. We cannot guess and make assumptions of their intentions to launch the female internship schemes. And then internship does not equal to employment? You need to have good performance during the internship period to secure a full-time job in the company. No company will promise you that they are certainly going to hire you even you are accepted into the internship schemes, be it female or male.

True, I haven't reached the stage of internships yet.
Why would I send people a letter? I don't really care why specific companies have women only internships, I'm saying that it seems unfair towards the men who are also looking for internships as they have less opportunities.
Like I said, I realise that getting an internship doesn't equal a job, but it gives people an opportunity for employment they wouldn't otherwise have.
It doesn't matter if the internship doesn't land a job or not. It matters they still got the job just cause of their gender.
The only reason there is less females in STEM or Finance is cause of the majority of females don't do it. Even if their provided the same options and opportunity they don't do it
It not our fault if they don't want to do it?

I study computing at sixth form. In the last two years.There has only been two recruitment by employees seeking to recruit people for computing and web design. I was glad there was an opportunity for me to learn some experience but they hand to land the bomb "for women". In the end, what happened was that females who don't even study computing or have no interest, did it still, just to fill the requirement of women.

We don't see men getting more opportunity in jobs where its mostly females like nursing? Do we ? biased much ?
Reply 24
I would not make that statement as there are loads of internships that welcome both male and female. PwC contains a normal internships and woman internship (the standard is not lowered but candidates get to work with female leaders, the post starter was defaming the firm, check the website). Male does not lose out in this situation because accepting female candidates in that female schemes is independent of reviewing male candidate's profiles in normal selection process.

Original post by KRin
True, I haven't reached the stage of internships yet.
Why would I send people a letter? I don't really care why specific companies have women only internships, I'm saying that it seems unfair towards the men who are also looking for internships as they have less opportunities.
Like I said, I realise that getting an internship doesn't equal a job, but it gives people an opportunity for employment they wouldn't otherwise have.
Reply 25
Guys, look up the website, http://www.pwc.co.uk/careers/student/workexperience/internships.html

The company did not say standard is lowered for females candidates in the scheme.
Original post by Quiton
Please read carefully, I am suggesting some females are not willing to pursue jobs in certain sectors as they feel they are disadvantaged and not treated equally. THE WOMAN HERSELF FEELS THAT, NOT ME! AND PLEASE READ AGAIN, I WROTE CERTAIN PORTIONS, NOT ALL FEMALES. It is just as simple as for example, when your girlfriend dumped you , you feel discouraged to pursue a new relationship and you feel sad (it may not be the reality as you might have done something that cause the break up,according to you), others have no rights to say the reason she dumped you is because you are weak/timid/coward/any other adjectives and hence you deserve to be dumped? I am saying we should respect everyone for how they feel towards jobs seeking, instead of labelling them as weak. I will never generalise people are weak when they are unemployed because they may be millionaires retiring at age of 30 and have no ways to spend their wealth!

PS: your assumptions are quite dramatic, and I did not mention any economic aspect of employing woman, please stop putting words in my arguments. And I said SOME females, CERTAIN PORTIONS, check oxford dictionary:
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/some_1?q=SOME
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/certain_1?
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/portion_1?q=PORTIONq=CERTAIN

You really dont understand how to argue
Reply 27
Original post by J-SP
Because the employer has to convince that particular demographic to consider a career opportunity with that organisation in the first place.

And hiring based on gender doesn't seem very arbitrary and unfair to you?
Reply 28
Original post by Quiton
I would not make that statement as there are loads of internships that welcome both male and female. PwC contains a normal internships and woman internship (the standard is not lowered but candidates get to work with female leaders, the post starter was defaming the firm, check the website). Male does not lose out in this situation because accepting female candidates in that female schemes is independent of reviewing male candidate's profiles in normal selection process.

Lets pretend that there are 2 internship schemes for men and women, and another 2 that only accept women. This means that a man only has 2 possible schemes while a woman has 4. Doesn't this mean the man has less opportunities?
Reply 29
Original post by J-SP
How would you suggest these employers improve the under-representation of certain demographics without such programmes?

Why is under-representation a problem?
Reply 30
a'a1.pngATTENTION

POST STARTER FALSELY CLAIMED WOMAN IN BUSINESS IS LESS COMPETITIVE/ LOWERED STANDARD. GO LOOK IT UP ON THE WEBSITE! SAME REQUIREMEN GO LOOK IT UP ON THE WEBSITE! SAME REQUIREMENT FOR CONSULTING BE IT WOMAN IN BUSINESS SCHEME OR SUMMER INTERNSHIP (BOTH SEXES)
equirement for female candidates in the woman in business internship (CONSULTING) is the same as ones in normal summer internship (both males and females).
consulting: 340 tariff in UCAS, 2: 1 or equivalence in degree
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by J-SP
They are not technically hiring them. They are insight programmes and internships.

It is not a direct recruiting tool. It is a marketing tool to try and attract the best applicants, whether they are male or female.

So why bother having gender specific programs?
Original post by Mathemagicien
They're only paid more than men for the same hours, job and education

They actually earn less overall, if you don't account for the above

So you want them to earn more overall even though they do less hours?! Even feminists quote the pay gap hour for hour...
Reply 33
Original post by J-SP
There's a fair amount of evidence out there to show the more diverse your organisation is, the more success it is likely to have. A lot of these initiatives are driven by the thought of future profit, not any do-gooding.

Ok, but wouldn't it be better to allow that diversity to come naturally by simply hiring/accepting the applications of the best suited people and disregarding arbitrary physical features?
Reply 34
Honestly, you should not make such comments until you really have went through stages of applying jobs/internships. Company only allows you to apply for one scheme/position within a year (or Next,6-month). Male and Female are both entitled to one chance in a year.

Go look up the jobsearches, there's lots of jobs that are male-specific/only, I will not make any comment on that and make false assumptions every company on earth is having female/male-schemes.

Original post by KRin
Lets pretend that there are 2 internship schemes for men and women, and another 2 that only accept women. This means that a man only has 2 possible schemes while a woman has 4. Doesn't this mean the man has less opportunities?
(edited 7 years ago)
havent got time to read the above comments, but surely this is because it is WOMEN who are less likely to go into the finance/business sector (due to gender subjects choices, such as men less likely to be into languages) thus people are trying to encourage WOMEN to go into finance and business as men are already there!
Reply 36
:flip::flip::flip::flip:

:headbang:

The whole point is they are put off, but some ignorant people claim women do not apply because of weakness, nonsense. Support your point!

Original post by J-SP
Because women are not applying! They are put off by either perceptions that they won't fit in to the culture of a finance organisation (because they are dominated by white, privately educated, men), or by the reality that they don't want to work for an organisation that isn't very inclusive for women.

I really wish programmes like this, as well as those for social mobility, ethnicity and disability didn't have to exist. But from my experience they are a vital way to attract and inform potential future talent, so they will apply in the future.

People are ultimately drawn to people who are like them, and if you have a skew in your demographics already (like an over-representation of white, privately educated men), then you are more likely to just continue the over-represented group. That over-represented group will be over-represented at university campus events, they will over-represent the number of referrals/recommendations to the company, meaning they will get more applications from people like them. It becomes a bit of a vicious circle.
Reply 37
Fair comment. We never know the real intentions of those companies but overall it is a positive thing isn't it! If the company is hosting 'anti-male in business' then it is immoral and sexist!

Original post by Rainbowcorn
havent got time to read the above comments, but surely this is because it is WOMEN who are less likely to go into the finance/business sector (due to gender subjects choices, such as men less likely to be into languages) thus people are trying to encourage WOMEN to go into finance and business as men are already there!
Original post by Rainbowcorn

yeah, but some people are saying females would feel unmotivated and uncomfortable to work in a male majority job....

but then again. if you were REALLY were passionate about the job, why would u let a gender stop you?

get a stronger mentality.
Reply 39
The company restrained candidate to apply for only ONE position/internship per year/term time. Same standards for the job requirements.

PS:s-smilie:ome females can feel unmotivated and uncomfortable and please respect how they feel. AND DON'T OVER-GENERALISE AS ALL FEMALES. thanks.

Original post by KnightCode
yeah, but some people are saying females would feel unmotivated and uncomfortable to work in a male majority job....

but then again. if you were REALLY were passionate about the job, why would u let a gender stop you?

get a stronger mentality.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest