The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Additional Science

Seeing as nobody does edexcel additional science (apparently), I have decided to make a forum where everybody that does do Edexcel Additional science can post their thoughts/tips. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

c2 tomorrow :smile:
Hiiii. I do it! Any predictions for tomorrow? :smile:
Hey! I just a lot of posting about this topic actually. Predictions would be the typical 6 markers, like types of bonding, exothermic and endothermic as 3 or 4 markers. Umm, noble gases possibly?
Reply 4
I do additional science! the C2 is tomorrow, how did you guys find the B2 paper?
Original post by Lana_
I do additional science! the C2 is tomorrow, how did you guys find the B2 paper?

B2 was terrifying, hoping for an A* in this C2 exam D:
Reply 6
Original post by CorpusLuteum
B2 was terrifying, hoping for an A* in this C2 exam D:

It was terrifying! Thank goodness someone else feels the same.
What do you think will come up in C2?
Original post by Lana_
It was terrifying! Thank goodness someone else feels the same.
What do you think will come up in C2?

Well, I think to be on the safe side know all the experiments ( with one example of a compound for each) off by heart. But I really can't be sure. Hopefully something easy appears.
Well, I think to be on the safe side know all the experiments ( with one example of a compound for each) off by heart. But I really can't be sure. Hopefully something easy appears.

Please can you give me some examples of the experiments alongside with some examples thanks
Creating a pure dry sample of a precipitate: (example barium sulfate)

1) Add two soluble salts to a beaker and add distilled water until dissolved [for barium sulfate the two salts would be: barium nitrate and potassium sulfate] A precipitate should form in the water.
2)Filter the contents of the beaker using a funnel and filter paper.
3) Wash the residue with distilled water to remove the impurities
4)scrape it onto fresh filter paper to dry.

Other Exp:
1) How to separate immiscible liquids: example of water and oil.
2) How to separate Miscible Liquids: example of air and turning it into a liquid then separating through fractional distillation.
3) Flame test and results for each of the following:
> Sodium - yellow flame
>Potassium - Lilac Flame
>Calcium - Brick Red Flame
>Copper - Blue-Green Flame
4) The method for chromatography and how to work out the Rf value for a substance and what it's used for.
5) Just how and why spectroscopy is used to identify an element in a sample.
6) How to test for sulfates, halides, Nitrates, Carbonates and chloride ions.
7) Alkali Metals in water and how the three below react:
> Sodium
>Potassium
>Lithium

I think that's all... D:
Original post by Akramrahman
Please can you give me some examples of the experiments alongside with some examples thanks

Did you get a notification about the post above?
Sorry forgot to tag you.
Good luck! There's still time tomorrow morning to do door last minute revision before the exam.
Hey do you guys know any additional chemistry topics that have a high chance of showing up in the exam tomorrow? Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jasminenctang
Predictions would be the typical 6 markers, like types of bonding, exothermic and endothermic as 3 or 4 markers. Umm, noble gases possibly?

Original post by Bilal1010
Hey do you guys know any additional chemistry topics that have a high chance of showing up in the exam tomorrow? Thanks

Um, here's some of the predictions a user posted.
Um, here's some of the predictions a user posted.

Thanks
Reply 15
Predicted 6 markers please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Glad I could help. Here are some more topics that you should know;

Ion experiments
Alkalis and reactivity
Halogens/halides
Noble gases and their uses
Why elements are more reactive than others
How to draw elements with outer shell only (using periodic table or given electronic configuration)
Know what the groups and periods on the periodic table tell you (groups are number of electrons in outer shell, periods are number of shells)
Unlikely to come up but Mendeleev, predictions for gaps in the periodic table, ordered by atomic mass etc
Factors increasing rate of reaction; temperature, concentration, surface area, catalyst
Know the definitions of RAM, RFM, Yields (Actual and Theoretical/Expected), Catalyst etc

These are all key topics that usually turn up in papers throughout the years, so knowing these will be very useful for this afternoon!

Good luck everybody xD
How was c2. I though it was really easy except for the last q. I think I would've got 4/6. Would've got full marks if I had enough time. I'm pretty sure the empirical formula was Mg5O2?
Reply 18
Original post by TSlayerr
How was c2. I though it was really easy except for the last q. I think I would've got 4/6. Would've got full marks if I had enough time. I'm pretty sure the empirical formula was Mg5O2?

I blagged the last 6 also. Although I'm fairly certain the empirical formula for Magnesium Oxide is simply MgO.
Original post by shaaay
I blagged the last 6 also. Although I'm fairly certain the empirical formula for Magnesium Oxide is simply MgO.

I did the calculations and followed what the book said and got Mg5O2
Hmmm

Quick Reply