The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS S1

Does anyone know how to do question 3 on the edexcel gold paper 3? It gives you that x is 10-15 16-18 and f is 15 9 respectively. It also tells you that 10-15 has a width of 2cm with height of 5 then asks you to find height and width for 16-18.
Thanks
First for the height you need to calculate the frequency density. Remembering to use the boundaries. Once you've got the f.d for 10-15 divide this by the height so you get the f.d for 1cm height. Then divide the f.d of 16-18 by the f.d for 1cm and you'll get the height. Use the same method for the width. Find the class width of the 10-15 and divide this by the width in cm. To get the c.w for 1cm width. Then divide the c.w for 16-18 by the c.w for 1cm width and you'll get the new width.

Hope this made sense!
Reply 2
Thank you so much. This has changed me up on so many papers and the exam is tomorrow so this was a life saver :-)
Original post by negatron
First for the height you need to calculate the frequency density. Remembering to use the boundaries. Once you've got the f.d for 10-15 divide this by the height so you get the f.d for 1cm height. Then divide the f.d of 16-18 by the f.d for 1cm and you'll get the height. Use the same method for the width. Find the class width of the 10-15 and divide this by the width in cm. To get the c.w for 1cm width. Then divide the c.w for 16-18 by the c.w for 1cm width and you'll get the new width.

Hope this made sense!
Original post by issyafd1
Thank you so much. This has changed me up on so many papers and the exam is tomorrow so this was a life saver :-)

Same!! I'm currently doing my AS and I struggled with these kind of questions but once you understand it all makes sense :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest