The Student Room Group

BBC job interview unsuccessful

Last Wednesday I had a job interview in Media City, Salford (A lovely place) for the role of BROADCAST ASSISTANT @ BBC Sport Interactive. This was my second interview for a professional job within the journalism industry. ( Last summer I graduated with a 2:1 in sport journalism. My other interview came at HIMSS Europe for the role of 'reporter'. (This was basically a health reporter for HIMSS website.) I did not get this job, my feedback said I was a strong candidate etc but they gave the role to somebody with more experience.

I came away from this happy because I did a really good interview, I showcased them my news blog which I am editor of etc and I was happy with the interview.

Again, for my interview at BBC i thoroughly prepared etc. Before the interview there was a written task in which I had to correct errors in a sport article (I think I did this to a good standard.) IN the interview I was confident etc, although I do not think I was quite as good as in my earlier interview at HIMSS Europe. One question in particular was how would the BBC attract 16-24 year olds to view the upcoming Olympic coverage. I answered this with social media and getting presenters to front the Olympics that young people would relate to. Although I was aware that some form of this questions would be asked I know now that i didn't answer it well enough. I feel that my brain works in a way that it needs time to reflect on a questions or problem in order to answer it coherently. On the day after the interview I had come up with much better ways in which to attract 16-24 year olds including snapchat, youtube and Twitch, unfortunately I could obviously not phone my interviewers up and tell them.

Today I found out that I did not get the role after I had emailed them. I was told on my interview that I would find out early next week probably monday i.e. yesterday. So when i heard nothing i assumed it was bad news.

Anyway I feel pretty dissapointed that I did not get the role. There was 5-6 roles on offer and there were 31 candidates - this makes me even more dissapointed - it was a huge opportunity. Anyway I'm just wondering if anyone else has had interviews with the BBC or if anyone on here was at the same interview as me. The interviews ran on three days 8th, 9th and 10th of June 2016. It feels like i'm back to square one now. My news blog which is now a website isn't paying the bills and although I had a part time job at a local supermarket i'm still pretty dejected. Anyway thanks for listening, I hope I will get some responses, i'll be here all night to chat!
Hi there. I worked in TV for a long time. You didn't get the job because of he answer of how to attract young ppl, you didn't get it because. You don't have any broadcast experience. You will find that the person who got the job did do

In fact, you have done very well to get to iv in the first place

My advice is, keep plugging away and try the independent sector, where NOBODY will allocate three days to appoint someone in an assistant role.

Keep going wig your blog and try to get in in some way to do any old thing in sports TV.

Ie runner.

Basically, try and get in around the edges and make connections. Have you looked at traineeship a etc?

Honestly, it won't have made any difference, but do more research in the how would you attract question. As you might imagine, they know about social media. Use this question to demonstrate more nimble and innovative thinking or perhaps introduce them to a talent ie a new presenter or possible presenter that you have come across in your blog that they know nothing about. Don't tell them things Herve already bought of. But honestly, the iv didn't hinge on that so don't think that's why you didn't get it.

In TV the job goes to he person who's already done the same job before

Transferable skills don't count for much

You ca n message me if you have any qus πŸ˜€ try not to be dissapointed because if you are motivated and are any good then there's no reason why you can't do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest