The Student Room Group

Dentist refuses to write letter??

I have just had one of my front teeth extracted and replaced with a bridge, due to internal reabsorbtion of the gum; and i have a biology A2 exam in two days.

My exams officer told me to ask the dentist to write a letter outlining the treatment, side effects, etc; but the dentist informed me that by law all he can give me is the appointment card i was given when the treatment was booked, and that someone from school has to ring him if they need any further information, which they obviously will

Anyone know if this is true? (or which law is preventing him from writing a letter)
Reply 1
Original post by mattmansfield2
I have just had one of my front teeth extracted and replaced with a bridge, due to internal reabsorbtion of the gum; and i have a biology A2 exam in two days.

My exams officer told me to ask the dentist to write a letter outlining the treatment, side effects, etc; but the dentist informed me that by law all he can give me is the appointment card i was given when the treatment was booked, and that someone from school has to ring him if they need any further information, which they obviously will

Anyone know if this is true? (or which law is preventing him from writing a letter)

Not sure. My doctors will always write notes for me, but dentists could be different. Sounds like your only option is to go with it though unless you could get your doctor to (but they will almost deffinately tell you to ask your dentist). If it's what is meant to happen then it will be what the school is used to and will not be an issue.
There is no law preventing him from writing a letter provided he has your explicit consent, however it's not mandatory for him to do so, and it's generally bad form for an employer or school to waste a medical professionals time that way.

If they're really concerned about the specifics of the situation they should ask you, if they want to know about the procedure or condition the internet is a marvellous resource.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Nefarious
There is no law preventing him from writing a letter provided he has your explicit consent, however it's not mandatory for him to do so, and it's generally bad form for an employer or school to waste a medical professionals time that way.

If they're really concerned about the specifics of the situation they should ask you, if they want to know about the procedure or condition the internet is a marvellous resource.

Generally that is true and I believe there is some rule that it's only if you're off for more than a week, but for exams you do need medical evidence for anythig like missing it or allowances like extra time. OP will need medical evidence saying (s)he had the proceedure and a brief explination ie. Face have hole. It make face hurt- simple stuff and not usually an issue unless you go private and have to pay.

OP: Not sure why dentist is refusing though and I would think that it is more legally questionable for him to discuss your treatment with another person without your concent. Have you made a decision on what you are doing? Are you just doing the appointment card thing he said or are you trying to pull at other strings?
The dentist is probably refusing because it's not NHS work. (which is why most doctors charge)

Quick Reply

Latest