The Student Room Group

Welcome to Investment Banking and Consultancy!

This forum has the potential to be a hugely useful resource to the many students here looking at going into the corporate world, but the forum's recently been a mishmash of threads on the same topic that get driven off topic by heated discussions. My aim is to try to make IB&C as useful and interesting a place as possible, by balancing the guidelines and rules on posting with allowing people to be free to post their opinion. TSR has [url=The rules that go across all forums, however here are a few I want to draw your attention to:

Be nice, or at least civil, to each other. The moderation team do not tolerate any bullying, nastiness or personal insults, as they're never necessary and add nothing to the forum. Responses to people should discuss what the person writes, not the person themselves. Discuss the posts, not the poster. This includes respecting the privacy of members who wish to remain anonymous

Don't take threads off topic. We've had many incidences recently of two posters getting into a heated debate about something vaguely related to the thread. If you want to discuss a specific, related issue, start a thread on it, but do not derail the current thread. Only post in a thread if you want to discuss the topic of that thread.

Don't start a new thread if your question/point fits in a current thread. This is especially true for:

Threads asking "which of these universities is better?" or "is this university targetted by banks?" - these should go in the University & Course Comparison thread

Threads asking "am I good enough for IB?" or similar - these should go in the "Am I good enough for IB&C?" thread

Questions that have been asked in the Intro to Investment Banking thread

Often a quick search will find that your question has been discussed before, and there are many interesting threads here that don't need to be bogged down by a multitude of duplicate threads. Linked to this, please don't respond to new threads started on these topics, as it stops me from merging them into the big thread.

Please report posts. The report post button (to the top right of a post, the one that looks like a road sign) makes my job far, far easier. If you see someone breaking any of the above, or things are getting a bit out of hand in a thread, click that to let the moderation team know. I can't read every single thread, but if it's reported I (or one of the global mods) will check the thread to see if action needs to be taken. This isn't just for people being insulting, but it helps me move threads, split ones that are going off topic, and keep the forum easy to use.

I want to stress that this forum is a community and the we will be guided by what the community wants. All the owners and moderation team want is a forum that's a nice, interesting and useful place to be, meaning we should all be on the same side. If you have any questions about moderation or ideas on how to improve IB&C, please use Ask A Mod.
Reply 1
Nice post Drogue, infact, a much needed nice post. Hopefully this board will become more useful now, especially as it is under new moderation :p:
Singh_87
Nice post Drogue, infact, a much needed nice post. Hopefully this board will become more useful now, especially as it is under new moderation :p:

Its all pretty obvious though, the main problem is that new posters might not even bother checking here. I mean loads of people come in asking for general help like "what is IB?" when theres a thread called "Intro to Investment Banking" at the top. People just like being lazy.
Reply 3
supernova2
Its all pretty obvious though, the main problem is that new posters might not even bother checking here. I mean loads of people come in asking for general help like "what is IB?" when theres a thread called "Intro to Investment Banking" at the top. People just like being lazy.

This isn't just aimed at new posters (although it is in part). It's aimed at the common problems we have here. It means we have a thread to point to if people do start threads on topics already covered, and it sets out the guidelines of what is or isn't allowed.

And don't spam here, I don't want to have to spend my time deleting silly posts just because someone wants to drag something off topic.
You should probably lock it then, Drogue.
Reply 5
I want to keep it open for suggestions. But not for people discussing tennis.
Reply 6
OP updated.
Reply 7
I think it's really important that people make it very clear when starting new threads whether they are refering to internship or graduate application. At the moment the first three posts of most threads begin with, 'are you refering to internships or graduate recruitment' or 'Or you serious have all internship offers already been made'
Reply 8
First post updated to add that people should not respond to threads started asking about which university/course is better, or whether a university/course is good enough for IB. They should all be in the University & Course Comparison Thread, and if people reply to these posts it means I can't merge them.
Reply 9
OP updated again, to add new stickied thread and mention that people shouldn't reply threads that need to be merged to one of the stickied threads either. If someone starts a thread comparing universities, courses or asking if they're good enough for IB/C, just report it and I'll merge it into the main thread. However I can't do this if there's lots of responses, as posts won't then follow the post they're referring too (they'll all get mixed in with the ones in the stickied thread).
Reply 10
OP updated again. Probably worth the "usual suspects" having a quick flick over it to remind themselves...
You should probably lock it then, Drogue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending