The Student Room Group

Head Girl/Senior Student team

If you have any suggestions on how to improve this letter of application I'd be glad to hear them. Its not finished yet but I need it finished by thursday AM! SST is the student body of the sixth form, if my letter is accepted i have to do a 1 min speech on friday and then there is a student vote and then interviews. The roles available are head girl, deputy and head of house and there are 10 positions in total...

Dear ___,

I am applying for the senior student team this year as Ifeel like I have learnt so much over the last 10 months in the sixth form andthat I have really grown into myself. During year twelve I’ve undergone manychallenges regarding schoolwork and relationships but I believe I have overcome these to become astronger individual and developed my confidence to where I am at now.

This year I participated in a few voluntary roles thatallowed me to become very empathetic and also a great leader. One roleconsisted of mentoring two students, a year 10 and a year 7, one to one. I worked with the year 10 from around November to May, acting as a friend androle model to her, allowing her to confide in me and have somebody to talk toif she wanted to. This role allowed me to become very understanding of otherssituations but also made me more committed as we had an agreement that we wouldmeet every week. Another role I acted in was helping to run the Trampoliningclub from September to May, working with students from year 7 through to year 11. Although I have done this role for a few years, this year it took a lotmore time and organisation as we prepared all 25+ of the competition team for the annual competition and worked with a variety of abilities, ranging from students learning seat drops to one learning twisting somersaults. Lastly I worked with the year 7 science club up until December, at which point itclashed with Trampolining. This was a great learning experience as some weekswe would have 60+ students in one room. I learnt to be a leader and how to stayorganised, whilst also following any instructions given by the member of staff unning the club that week.

I believe the role of the SST is an important one, as it hasa prominent role in bettering the running of the sixth form. There are a fewissues within the sixth form currently such as the dress code which is ‘smartcasual’, which must I say the majority of girls seem to get in trouble over dueto them not being ‘smart’ enough, yet far more boys seem to get away with the opposite of smart, and even casual, in their matching tracksuits yet do not get told off for not being smart enough. The SST promotes change within the schooland change will only be achieved when there are strong individuals pushing forit. I believe that I have developed the right qualities that would allow me tobe a fantastic team member whilst retaining my ability to lead when necessary.

I am definitely not the most academic person, nor are examsmy strong point and I definitely don’t excel in them, but I don’t believe thatschool is all about grades. I’ve learnt many life lessons throughout my time at___ from my teachers and I now know that you can’t rely on anyone else to make changes for you, you have to make them yourself so that is why I believe I should be given the opportunity to make changes for the better of the whole sixth form on the SST. I believe I would represent the sixth form and the school with integrityand optimism, and act as a role model and friend for all other members of the school.
(edited 7 years ago)
I remember doing this.,..you really don;t have to be too stressed about the letter.. they only skim read it anyways.

But for quick feedback. i would use less ' Is' as it may be off putting.

I can have a better look in a bit-after revising for a million exams next week that is ) , if u still want any feedback,
Reply 2
Original post by bluepearl7
I remember doing this.,..you really don;t have to be too stressed about the letter.. they only skim read it anyways.

But for quick feedback. i would use less ' Is' as it may be off putting.

I can have a better look in a bit-after revising for a million exams next week that is ) , if u still want any feedback,

that'd be wonderful! this is only my first draft so I know it needs improvement haha
one more thing, try to split up your writing a bit more so it's easier to read like smaller paragraphs maybe?

For any more tips or ideas go on my profile , then 'threads i started'.
You can see a bunch of posts from my head girl letter
By the way, it's actually pretty good.
Way better than anything I ever did.:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by bluepearl7
By the way, it's actually pretty good.
Way better than anything I ever did.:smile:

Thank you, I'll definitely look at your posts :smile:
Reply 6
anyone else?
Reply 7