The Student Room Group

Is paramedic science competitive?

Hi there,

I'm currently in my A2 year wanting to study paramedic science BSc. I have heard from a number of unreliable sources that this course is extremely competitive and hard to get on to and I want to know if this is actually the case compared with other courses. So if you know or have any information then please let me know! All good answers will receive rep!

James
It is very difficult to get into. Often there will be hundreds of applications for tens of places. I know of courses with 20 places that will have 800+ applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Happy_Holidays
It is very difficult to get into. Often there will be hundreds of applications for tens of places. I know of courses with 20 places that will have 800+ applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you please elaborate?
Reply 3
Hi there James,

I received 3 offers for BSc Paramedic Science and should hopefully be going to Birmingham City in September to study. So I know a bit about the application process at a variety of institutes.

Paramedic Science is indeed, highly competitive. Many people desire the opportunity to help others, as well as the job security and pay prospects. The process consists of a variety of stages, with some institutes placing more emphasis on different areas. All institutes roughly have this format and in this order

1. Shortlisting - This is done on the basis of your UCAS personal statement and grades etc.

2. Interview Day - This is broken broadly into four main areas, 1. Maths assessment, 2. Literacy Assessment 3. Group Interview/Task, 4. Individual Interview. At some institutes you must be successful at each stage in order to progress to the next.

3. Meeting special conditions - If you receive an offer you then must pass an Occupational Health assessment and a DBS clearance. Also some institutes require you to hold a Drivers license with the motion to obtain C1.

Once you meet all the conditions of your offer then you are in !. This year at BCU there were about 1000 applicants for 30 odd spaces. This is the same at all institutes and all institutes generally have grade requirements of at least BBC.

If you would like to know anymore about any specific area let me know.

-N
Reply 4
Just for the sake of anybody else who is interested in this information I will post the communications that I have had with James on this thread.

"Thank you so much for your answer to my question, it was really helpful and informative. I have some more questions if you wouldn't mind helping me. I currently study French, Spanish and Psychology with grade predictions of BBB which I can maybe get ABB if I work really hard. That paired with a good interview and lots of my experience should be enough to get me a good shot? I'm really not sure. I understand that my a levels aren't science related (apart from psychology) but am really worried about getting into the course. Also if you know, what are the graduate prospects for medicine? Your help is much appreciated!

James"

To which I replied

"Hey James

I studied A-Level Russian, Sociology and Psychology. Some universities only accept the natural sciences but most accept anything with an 'ology' on the end as being a science so you are pretty well covered there.Your grade predictions sound fine to me, like I said on my post, most are around 280 UCAS points (BBC).So, how old are you exactly and what experience do you have/are you getting ? Me as a 19 year old now (I turned 18 at the beginning of upper sixth) I have 1 year experience volunteering with East of England Ambulance Service as a Community First Responder and 1 year with St.John Ambulance as an Events First Aider. Also I was a lifeguard for 2 years and worked in retail before that, also I have my B and C1 licenses.Where do you stand with experience ? Because at the end of the day, obviously you must have the grades, but everyone applying for the courses you are applying to will also have those grades. Therefore, what is going to make your application stand out on a UCAS form ?.Unfortunately as somebody who is only 19 and about to start their undergraduate degree I am not clued up about GEM. Have to find somebody else about that.

Nick"
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest