The Student Room Group

Student finance.

Was just wondering how student finance assess what you're entitled to whilst studying.
I'm not due to start uni till next year but the finance side of things is a big worry.

I've noticed that it asks for your household income for the previous tax year. I currently work full time and live with my partner and child. The thing I'm not understanding is that whilst studying I will be drastically cutting my hours at work; so my wages will be less than half. So the household income will be totally different to the one I will be asked to provide.

Does anyone know the answers?

Sorry if I've made it all sound very confusing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kelly0103
Was just wondering how student finance assess what you're entitled to whilst studying.
I'm not due to start uni till next year but the finance side of things is a big worry.

I've noticed that it asks for your household income for the previous tax year. I currently work full time and live with my partner and child. The thing I'm not understanding is that whilst studying I will be drastically cutting my hours at work; so my wages will be less than half. So the household income will be totally different to the one I will be asked to provide.

Does anyone know the answers?

Sorry if I've made it all sound very confusing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're classed as independent then they'll ask for your household income for everyone BUT you in the household.

In other words if you're applying for 2017 entry then they'll ask to see the P60 for your partner for 2015/16 tax year and any unearned income your child may get (ie trust funds or maintenance payments from absent parents)

They'll also ask you to declare your expected unearned income (trust funds, return on investment, rental income etc) for the 2017/18 year while you're studying. Any income to you from employment while you're studying or prior to studying isn't counted.
Reply 2
Oh that has really cleared it all up for me.
Thank you very much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending