The Student Room Group

I had untreated chlamydia for 2 years, is that enough time to make me infertile?

First of all, I am not a promiscuous slut. I have only had sex with two people and those were guys I was in long term relationships with. It turns out that my first boyfriend had chlamydia but either did not know or did not inform me. I've only had protected sex with my second boyfriend but I still informed him of me testing positive for the STI.

I first had unprotected sex in August 2014 with my 1st BF, I know it was stupid. I was on the pill so we were only thinking about possible pregnancy STIs didn't even come into the picture. I do remember asking him to use a condom but he said that because I'm on the pill I would be OK and I stupidly listened to him. But I've learned my lesson since.

My main concern now is that it looks like I have had Chlamydia since August 2014 so that is practically 2 years (I've been treated now). I never really had any symptoms for it which is why I didn't get tested for so long, and I trusted my first bf aswell.

I am 19 years old soon to be 20 and now I am really scared that my fertility has been affected and that I may be infertile, it is a dream of mine to have my own kids in the future. I was wondering if 2 years of untreated chlamydia is enough time to leave a woman infertile?

Please no harsh responses. Thank you x
Go to see your doctor..
Unfortunately yes. See a doctor

Try not to worry. There are plenty of cases where untreated chlamydia, even when left for years, does not cause infertility.
(edited 7 years ago)
Talk to your doctor, as we cannot diagnose your medical condition. Each case is different and while it may render some infertile, others may not be. Your doctor is the only one who can provide a definitive answer for this.
In the large majority of women who have had chlamydia - and that's a lot, especially with younger women - it doesn't cause any fertility problems.

In those where it does, it doesn't make them 'infertile' in the sense that they can't have a child, but it makes it harder for them to do so.

While talking to a doctor is a good idea, I suspect that the only way to tell if you've been affected is to try to become pregnant. If it takes longer than a year, then it (or something else, including your partner's fertility) will be said to be causing a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest