The Student Room Group

What to really look for with breast exams?

I've just started taking microgynon 30 and my nan had breast cancer. Naturally I want to keep on top of that to be safe because of the link between the pill and breast cancer. But honestly I'm just confused about breast exams? I know the technique, but I read things and see comments like its normal for the breast to feel lumpy.

So how can you tell when looking for lumps or dimples if what you're feeling is normal or if it's a cause for concern? What should cancerous lumps specifically feel like, what sort of size? There's no use looking if I don't even know what I'm looking for y'know?
Reply 1
give some pics and we'll check for ya
Original post by drogon

:spank:
Reply 3
Original post by drogon

hilarious
Reply 4
Original post by Sunghyunah
hilarious

I was kidding. Obviously.
Reply 5
Original post by drogon
I was kidding. Obviously.

I know
I've just started taking microgynon 30 and my nan had breast cancer. Naturally I want to keep on top of that to be safe because of the link between the pill and breast cancer. But honestly I'm just confused about breast exams? I know the technique, but I read things and see comments like its normal for the breast to feel lumpy.

So how can you tell when looking for lumps or dimples if what you're feeling is normal or if it's a cause for concern? What should cancerous lumps specifically feel like, what sort of size? There's no use looking if I don't even know what I'm looking for y'know?

Extremely sensible post and frankly some stupid comments. What I'd say is read up online or ask a GP. Typically what you're looking for is a hard irregular lump who's boundaries aren't demarcated too well. It normally wouldn't feel soft or cyst like ie fluid filled. A hard lump accompanied by swelling in the armpit region of lymph nodes and any tenderness or redness of the breast, consult a GP.

Here's what a breast cancer charity says:

- A lump or thickening in an area of the breast
- A change in the size, shape or feel of a breastDimpling of the skin
- A change in the shape of your nipple, particularly if it turns in, sinks into the breast, or has an irregular shape
- A blood stained discharge from the nipple
- A rash on a nipple or surrounding area
- A swelling or lump in your armpit
Reply 7
Original post by Zygomaticus
Extremely sensible post and frankly some stupid comments. What I'd say is read up online or ask a GP. Typically what you're looking for is a hard irregular lump who's boundaries aren't demarcated too well. It normally wouldn't feel soft or cyst like ie fluid filled. A hard lump accompanied by swelling in the armpit region of lymph nodes and any tenderness or redness of the breast, consult a GP.

Here's what a breast cancer charity says:

- A lump or thickening in an area of the breast
- A change in the size, shape or feel of a breastDimpling of the skin
- A change in the shape of your nipple, particularly if it turns in, sinks into the breast, or has an irregular shape
- A blood stained discharge from the nipple
- A rash on a nipple or surrounding area
- A swelling or lump in your armpit

Thanks for replying! This is more useful than any information i've ever read
Thanks for replying! This is more useful than any information i've ever read

No problems, take care and stay safe and remember if you do suspect something, pleaseeeee consult! All healthcare professionals are there to help and it's better to be safe than sorry!

One a side note I think breast surgery is one of my first rotations of 4th year, not sure but I think it is :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Zygomaticus
No problems, take care and stay safe and remember if you do suspect something, pleaseeeee consult! All healthcare professionals are there to help and it's better to be safe than sorry!

One a side note I think breast surgery is one of my first rotations of 4th year, not sure but I think it is :tongue:

Nope, definitely not something id ever delay on; my nan was told she was in remission but 5 years later it had actually spread to more areas and she died in her 50's when I was still little. A great aunt has also had both breasts removed; which is something I'd ideally want to avoid so, I want to be as on top of it as possible!

Quick Reply