The Student Room Group

Pregnancy on the implant

I have had the implant for a year. I had the nexaplanon one put in and only had some side effects. my periods were not always regular but turned up eventually but everything was fine, me and my partner had unprotected sex many times and it was fine. Recently my period didn't come and then my next one isn't either, I tested positive for pregnancy and told my boyfriend. 3 days later, only a couple days before I was going to my local doctors for my implant to me taken out and to find out about my baby, I was in awful pain like cramps but so much worse, almost like contractions and started bleeding. I suffered a miscarriage which I have now found out is very common when pregnant with the implant that I have. Has anyone else become pregnant on the implant or know anyone who was? Any for anyone who has had a miscarriage, how did you overcome it and did your relationship survive?

Side note: to any girl on any form of contraception who is worried they could be pregnant due to a late period, I urge you to get tested ASAP because I left it too late
You've been extremely unlucky - while no method is perfect, the implant is staggeringly effective in preventing pregnancy. While less than 1 in 100 women will get pregnant when using the combined pill correctly, the figure is less than 1 in 1,000 over three years for the implant: that's better than having a sterilisation op.

And then to have a miscarriage, ouch. This will be something you're unlikely to ever forget, but miscarriages are very common. Usually, that's at a very early stage, so it may not be recognised as such but it's estimated that about one in four pregnancies end in one. That's a lot of women who've had it happen.

Do you know about the Miscarriage Association?

Now that you've had a pregnancy, what do you and your partner want to do about having another one? Try to have or try to avoid or see what happens?

Quick Reply

Latest