The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
^ My offer was ABB, which seems pretty typical [although I applied for German & ab initio Russian]. I'll leave the other questions to some-one who actually studies there...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
katrin_tara
^ My offer was ABB, which seems pretty typical [although I applied for German & ab initio Russian]. I'll leave the other questions to some-one who actually studies there...

Everyone I've spoken to has an ABB offer although I read in the 2008 prospectus that they've upped the typical offer to AAB...
Reply 3
Hi, can't help with the IB offers question, but I can help with the languages question. I study French & ab initio Italian (just finished my year abroad) and both departments are excellent. French is consistently top 5 in the country and has a great range of module choices, although expect a lot of literature (can be avoided, but this limits your options!). I love the italian dept, they are all crazy, and it's a very small dept so it's very personal and everyon gets to know each other.
Reply 4
I don't think you have to actually share a room for the entire period you're there - it's only a certain.
Reply 5
Lilia
Thanks becca. I want to study Literature so that's not a problem for me. Did you know any Italian before you started? If not, was that a problem/difficult to keep up with the pace of learning?
Also what College are you at and what's it like. I'd like to apply to one of the traditional colleges but not too keen on sharing a room! Hope you don't mind all these questions. Lilia :biggrin:

I'm at University College (Castle). I would say don't be put off applying by the room sharing thing, as a) it's only a 50/50 chance you'll be sharing anyway and b) Castle is awesome! :biggrin:

I knew 3 things in Italian when I started: I could count to 10, say what my name was and how old I was, so I couldn't really do anything. You'll find that nobody has really ever done Italian before because it's not a language that's commonly offered at school. There might be a few people who have done GCSE but you get to there level before the end of 1st term anyway. At first I din't realise the workload required for an ab initio language and didn't work very hard. It's not that I couldn't cope I just couldn't be arsed. Then one of the teachers told me to pull myself into line and ever since then I've been fine! :smile:

Ask as many questions as you want.

Latest