The Student Room Group

STEP 2016 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by riquix
page 1.JPGpage 2.JPGpage 3.JPGpage 4.JPGQ9 from STEP 2. If someone could verify this I'd be grateful. About 90% certain I got it right.

By a completely different method, I got the same answers for a and c, but [my b] is [your b] + [our c]
I think you put b as the distance the bullet moves relative to the block, and I put it as the absolute distance the bullet moves.
I remember being unsure which it wanted, because the question said b was the distance the bullet traveled before coming to rest relative to the block.
What do people think?
Edit: Also, did it want b and c in terms of a? Arrrgh

And side note, anybody have a question paper?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 101
IMG_1982.JPGIMG_1983.JPGIMG_1984.JPGIMG_1985.JPGIMG_1986.JPGQ1 Solution
Q3 was beautiful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 103
Original post by farryharnworth
By a completely different method, I got the same answers for a and c, but [my b] is [your b] + [our c]
I think you put b as the distance the bullet moves relative to the block, and I put it as the absolute distance the bullet moves.
I remember being unsure which it wanted, because the question said b was the distance the bullet traveled before coming to rest relative to the block.
What do people think?

And side note, anybody have a question paper?

Wasn't b 'the distance the bullet moves in the block'? In that case, it would be [your b] - [our c]?
Original post by Zacken
Yep, that was Q3. And Q6 was the DE, the last part of Q6 was the bit about y_(mn).

I am a bit confused - was q6 really that difficult. I have possibly got myself confused but I thought that you just repeated the previous method and showed that the expression you obtain for applying (*) to y_n(Y_m(x)) = m^2n^2, which can be done by subbing in the dy/dx values you can obtain from (*) when applied using just y_n(y_m)) and y_m.
Original post by riquix
Wasn't b 'the distance the bullet moves in the block'? In that case, it would be [your b] - [our c]?

Honestly I'm not sure. I think the wording was unclear, but maybe it would turn out that I was just panicking a bit at the time if I read it again.
Regardless, there must be some credit for either answer.
Original post by gasfxekl
i liked it, what was your answer?

Let's just say I didn't like it. I did a foolish thing in the first part where to show that y^2 + 1 >= I just said we can choose theta to be 0 and hence y^2 >=. I realised this was completely stupid when I then had to find tan(theta).
I always thought deduce meant to use the previous part but I now think that is hence.

How did you go about deducing the y^2 + 1 >= part?
Original post by computerkid
For the last integration I found a neat trick, split 1/cosx(cosx+sinx) into (sinx-cosx)/cosx + 2cosx/(sinx+cosx)

Yeh, that's what I did, or you could split it to sin(x)/cos(x) + (cos(x)-sin(x))/(cos(x)+sin(x))= tan(x) +tan(pi/4-x).
Reply 108
Honestly I'm not sure. I think the wording was unclear, but maybe it would turn out that I was just panicking a bit at the time if I read it again.
Regardless, there must be some credit for either answer.

Hmmm. Also, I didn't see that at the end of part (ii) it asked for b and c to be in terms of a, m, M and u (i.e. that you had to eliminate R). I left both b and c in terms of m, M, u and R. How many marks do you think I'd lose for this?
Original post by tridianprime
Let's just say I didn't like it. I did a foolish thing in the first part where to show that y^2 + 1 >= I just said we can choose theta to be 0 and hence y^2 >=. I realised this was completely stupid when I then had to find tan(theta).
I always thought deduce meant to use the previous part but I now think that is hence.

need to resee the question, but when you rearranged it it was equivalent to a square being greater or equal to zero - (ycostheta+sintheta)^2 or something.
Original post by riquix
Hmmm. Also, I didn't see that at the end of part (ii) it asked for b and c to be in terms of a, m, M and u (i.e. that you had to eliminate R). I left both b and c in terms of m, M, u and R. How many marks do you think I'd lose for this?

Before looking at the solutions you posted, I didn't know that either - I'm in the same boat there. I'm not so good at judging mark distribution stuff though, so no idea.
I call dibs on 13. It was a gorgeous question. 7 was lovely too
Any predictions for STEP 3 after seeing STEP 1/2?

There weren't really any geometry or vectors questions on STEP 2, so I'm worried STEP 3 will be like the 2013 paper - almost all vectors/complex numbers :frown:
Am I the only person who did 12? Also, did I make a mistake in not trying 4 or 13?
How many marks would one get for the d.e. q without the last bit¿
Reply 115
Original post by tridianprime

Missed out the iff symbols in the picture. Also missed the >= 0 in the 3rd line hahaha.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 116
Before looking at the solutions you posted, I didn't know that either - I'm in the same boat there. I'm not so good at judging mark distribution stuff though, so no idea.

:////// I got told by one person that the question asked for b and c in terms of a. No-one else can verify this. It seemed strange to me that they'd ask for b and c in terms of a, since they arise from two completely different scenarios (fixed block, moving block), but the solution looks quite nice when R is eliminated, so I'm not sure...
Original post by ln(sec(x))
Any predictions for STEP 3 after seeing STEP 1/2?

There weren't really any geometry or vectors questions on STEP 2, so I'm worried STEP 3 will be like the 2013 paper - almost all vectors/complex numbers :frown:

I'm thinking there will be a standard differential equation question, because the one on II certainly wasn't standard.
Original post by gasfxekl
need to resee the question, but when you rearranged it it was equivalent to a square being greater or equal to zero - (ycostheta+sintheta)^2 or something.

I obtained (ycostheta + sintheta)^2 >= the expression on the RHS(?)
(via the discriminant of the original equation in x)
and then for the next part it said deduce the same for y^2 + 1 >=.

Do you mean rearrange from the original equation again?
Original post by Zacken
Q1 and 3 were trivial. Q6 was near impossible. I've heard of only 1 person managing the last part of Q6 out of 30 or so of the more able people. Any guesses for the mark distribution of Q6?

Edit to add: you've said it was on the easier side and then given lower boundaries for a 1 than 2010-2014?

I must've meant 99 / 75 / 65 (I can't find the PM I sent to Insight on this, which had my best estimate at the time). I can only remember the 99 boundary as that was the one I spent the most time estimating.

Q6 I went "differential equations" and hence easy :tongue:

Let me look at Q3 again, from memory I couldn't see how to do the second part immediately :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending