The Student Room Group

Have the leave campaign given up on young voters?

Hiya,

To keep you all informed, recently we had Eddie Izzard on TSR representing the stay side of the EU Referendum. We've been approached by others on the remain side too, so more news on that hopefully.

Over the last few months we have approached various people from the Leave side to come and speak to you all, but they aren't even replying to us. I thought they would care more about student votes and opinion... hopefully we will have someone come forward.

I just wanted to give you all an update to reassure you that we want to present the pros and cons of both leave and remain in an equal, neutral manner.

Jack

Scroll to see replies

:hmmmm2: I wonder why.. that is a shame. But thanks for the effort! :yep:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM

Could that that they looked at the stats and decided that it is a waste of their time to try, the time required to do it could be much better used dealing with those more likely to be swung to leave, unlike Eddie who just wants some attention and to preach to the converted; would have thought somebody would have though.
Original post by SeanFM

Original post by Jammy Duel
Could that that they looked at the stats and decided that it is a waste of their time to try, the time required to do it could be much better used dealing with those more likely to be swung to leave, unlike Eddie who just wants some attention and to preach to the converted; would have thought somebody would have though.

Yeah - feels like the leave campaign have completely given up on young people.

I just had Boris confirm he doesn't have time to come on TSR unfortunately.
(edited 7 years ago)
Maybe cuz most young people vote OUT?
Original post by Captain Jack

I certainly wouldn't expect you to have been able to get Brois, there really is not time in his schedule for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can imagine it'd be like trying to talk to a brick wall, trying to convince all these PC, airhead lefties into thinking for themselves. :colone:

Can't particularly blame Boris, might be worth trying someone further down the chain really.
Original post by fr0sr_
I can imagine it'd be like trying to talk to a brick wall, trying to convince all these PC, airhead lefties into thinking for themselves. :colone:

Can't particularly blame Boris, might be worth trying someone further down the chain really.

If they've only tried top of the chain people like Farage, Boris, Gove no wonder they failed

Posted from TSR Mobile
If they've only tried top of the chain people like Farage, Boris, Gove no wonder they failed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly so.
Why not ask David Cameron too? I mean it's only fair isn't it?

Oh wait no, they got Eddie Izzard to come on for the remain side.. :biggrin:
Original post by fr0sr_
Exactly so.

Izzard, a man who when corned just says "humanity" over and over again thinking it's an amazing argument, even when not relevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I certainly wouldn't expect you to have been able to get Brois, there really is not time in his schedule for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by fr0sr_

David Cameron approached us directly... TSR's community is hugely influential - I'm surprised Boris wouldn't want to come on personally.
Original post by fr0sr_
Exactly so.

We didn't have to - David Cameron asked us.

Right.

I guess people can just recognise how far left TSR is, as I said in my first post it would be like talking to a brick wall. - Arguably that would/should really mean that they should be targeting TSR more.. but yeah.

I would suggest potentially contacting someone other than the main front runners in the Leave campaign, maybe even a spokesperson from Leave.EU/Grassroots Out, or an openly "Leave" MP or something - other than Boris etc.
Original post by fr0sr_
Right.

I guess people can just recognise how far left TSR is, as I said in my first post it would be like talking to a brick wall. - Arguably that would/should really mean that they should be targeting TSR more.. but yeah.

I would suggest potentially contacting someone other than the main front runners in the Leave campaign, maybe even a spokesperson from Leave.EU/Grassroots Out, or an openly "Leave" MP or something - other than Boris etc.

We have been, we've tried quite a few people.

Our last poll on TSR was fairly evenly split between leave and remain - so making generalisations about the swing of the community doesn't ring right to me.

If the Prime Minister can invite us to his house to talk about it, it feels the leave party should try and help us educate our audience on the pros and cons of leaving.
(edited 7 years ago)
Mmmm, I wonder why multi multi millionaire izzard wants to vote remain?

Can he send his vote in from his ivory tower?

Our last poll on TSR was fairly evenly split between leave and remain - so making generalisations about the swing of the community doesn't ring right to me.

If the Prime Minister can invite us to his house to talk about it, it feels the leave party should try and help us educate our audience on the pros and cons of leaving.

I appreciate your opinion, but I don't think it's fair to suggest that the entire 'Leave' campaign is identical. Many well-known 'Leavers' have been presenting at universities and are very active on social media.

So when did Cameron do a Q&A on the referendum? He really does not like having to be asked about the referendum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rover73
Mmmm, I wonder why multi multi millionaire izzard wants to vote remain?

Can he send his vote in from his ivory tower?

Might have to get one of his servants to do it, I guess. :colone:

The poll may be, but are you denying that the general populus of students are commonly left-wing? After all, we didn't have a full tsr turnout for the poll now did we?

I agree, they should. Shame they don't really as I feel as if some people may actually listen and consider voting leave, too.
If you have Eddie Izzard representing remain it wouldn't surprise me if the entire of TSR turns to vote leave.
Maybe because theyre too young, 18'ish, to actualy live in the real world, where you make ends meet completely on your own, and they just dont get that its become impossible to do this over the last twenty years.

Brexit. Start a new brighter future for britian.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending