Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

S2 ocr mei 2016

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

(Original post by Gabriella98)
    does this mean that youd use lambda for both the mean and the variance and then use the normal test? cos that what i did..?
    Both would probably be allowed to be honest. Whilst p is very very close to 0, an approximation from an approximation would hold more error.

n is large
    np > 10
    So Bin~> Norm

This happened in 2015 and both cases were allowed so don't worry I kinda panicked until I saw the paper myself again

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by ROSS1998JONES2)
    This is what I can remember

Q1catter diagram:
    1 mark for labelled axes, 2 marks for correctly plotted points
    Spearmans: -0.366
    Spearmans hypothesis test: accept H0.
    Pearsons not appropriate since not bivariate normal because not elliptical.
    No assumptions required for Spearmans.
    1% significance level is 1% probability of rejecting H0 when it is in fact true.

Independent: mutations dont affect probability of another mutation, random:mutations are unpredictable
    Binomial calculation: 20C1 x 0.012^1 x 0.988^19 or something like that
    Approximation to posission: mean = 500x0.012, then use tables etc.
    Approximation to normal, mean=50000x0.012, variance=50000x0.012x0.998 then standardise and use tables etc.

Simple normal calculations
    Manufacturer claims over 95% etc.: calculate value= 0.9502 so claim is true.
    Find sigma and mu, sigma =6350 and mu = 60500 or 50850 or something like that?
    Draw distributions: X has lower mean and variance so less spread but taller
    Calculate value of h when 99.9%: I got 40500 or there abouts

Calculate expected frequency of female and likes maths, show contribution=...
    Chi test, add up contributions, accept H0.
    Normal test, calculate mean and variance or standard distribution, calculate test statistic, reject H0.

If any one remembers anything else let me know.
    Hi how sure are you of your answers to the hypothesis tests? Because I remember rejecting 1 and accepting 2 tests, but the majority of my friends did it the other way round...

Also on another thread I found a picture of the first page of the exam, does anyone have a picture of the second page by any chance? Thank you!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.