The Student Room Group

My dad thinks I'm "ill".

This couldn't get any worse.

I'm seriously coming down with something - my sister was under the weather last week and I'm certain I've caught it.

He wants to get the "services" involved lol. I know it's got nothing to do with the illness I think he thinks I have... he thinks I'm "mentally ill".

It couldn't be any more condescending and demeaning.

I really think it's best that I leave this place. I've absolutely had it.

He probably thinks he's being kind, but he's being a jerk and he's clearly got tunnel vision.

I can't talk to my parents about how I feel, because apparently I don't know how I feel and I need help.

I'm just going to leave, go back to my rented flat, get some money together, go to this job I've applied to in France (which I hope to get) and forget about them.
Firstly having a mental illness isn't condescending or demeaning, If your family are worried about you then perhaps you should take some time to listen to their reasoning. Why do they think you can't make judgments about yourself? Hear them out and try not to react until they are finished. It might all turn out to be, like you said, tunnel visioned. but if there is something wrong then it would definitely be worth listening and seeing what support you can get.

Just remember that family is your rock and the last thing you should think about doing is blocking them out if there are other ways to fix the problem.

If you need someone to chat to, I'm always here OP :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
This couldn't get any worse.

I'm seriously coming down with something - my sister was under the weather last week and I'm certain I've caught it.

He wants to get the "services" involved lol. I know it's got nothing to do with the illness I think he thinks I have... he thinks I'm "mentally ill".

It couldn't be any more condescending and demeaning.

I really think it's best that I leave this place. I've absolutely had it.

He probably thinks he's being kind, but he's being a jerk and he's clearly got tunnel vision.

I can't talk to my parents about how I feel, because apparently I don't know how I feel and I need help.

I'm just going to leave, go back to my rented flat, get some money together, go to this job I've applied to in France (which I hope to get) and forget about them.

You straight/bi/gay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending