The Student Room Group

The War in Afghanistan

Reading about The War in Afghanistan and I'm a bit confused.
I found this information on a website

In 1978, a civil war began within Afghanistan's borders between pro- and anti-communist forces. The Soviet Union sent in military forces to support the communists, and a bloody conflict began. During this fight, the United States provided money and military assistance to those fighting the Soviets. Some of these were known as the Mujahideen, composed of Islamists who were staunchly opposed to the Soviet invasion.

But does anyone know why the United States provided money and military assistance to those fighting AGAINST the Soviets especially as the Soviets had sent in military forces to support the communists the Soviets had also given women more significance in public.

Could someone help explain this?
Reply 1
Reading about The War in Afghanistan and I'm a bit confused. I found this information on a website In 1978, a civil war began within Afghanistan's borders between pro- and anti-communist forces. The Soviet Union sent in military forces to support the communists, and a bloody conflict began. During this fight, the United States provided money and military assistance to those fighting the Soviets. Some of these were known as the Mujahideen, composed of Islamists who were staunchly opposed to the Soviet invasion. But does anyone know why the United States provided money and military assistance to those fighting AGAINST the Soviets especially as the Soviets had sent in military forces to support the communists the Soviets had also given women more significance in public. Could someone help explain this?
It was part of the US policy of preventing the spread of Communism. The USA's priority was installing a capitalist anti-communist government in Afghanistan, just like they attempted to do in Korea and Vietnam. The Afghan war was, like theses two examples, a proxy war between the two cold war powers (USSR and the USA)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending