The Student Room Group

IB Math HL uni and jobs

If I take IB Math HL and get a pretty good grade (aim >40)
would it be super easy to get in any uni i want, (apparently math students are comparatively rare and any math student has a 50% chance of getting in their wanted uni on average)
and what do i do with math in the job market (preferably not economic or finance related)
Original post by AmityAffliction
If I take IB Math HL and get a pretty good grade (aim >40)
would it be super easy to get in any uni i want, (apparently math students are comparatively rare and any math student has a 50% chance of getting in their wanted uni on average)
and what do i do with math in the job market (preferably not economic or finance related)

I am not familiar with IB but no grade will make it super easy to get into every uni (oxbridge, imperial etc ares still very hard to get into + some unis use step and oxford use mat)

While maths isnt a oversubscribed course you still need to get the grades that that uni ask for (or around about) so if you have the grades then its easier to get offers for most unis than say for a subject like medicine

As for careers, what interests you? note that maths isnt a vocational subject so doesnt train you for a particular career so you may have to acquire some skills else where like internships dependent on the career that interests you
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks a lot!!!

i was thinking of engineering or architecture, just because thats what most people with hl physics and hl math go on to study for, i have some experience in both from summer courses but im not sure, I guess i still have 2 years to make up my mind :smile:

Oxbridge isnt on my bucket list, I just want to learn as much as I can XD

I also take history so that might be useful...?

Quick Reply

Latest